Air in WhisperFlo Basket

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Alamo, CA
A few weeks ago, I installed a 1/2 HP WhisperFlo to replace the 3/4 Hayward that gave up the ghost. In doing the replacement, I used unions to allow me to install the new pump more easily. I'm hoping that's not a problem. Basically, since installing the new pump, I get a lot of air through the solar panels and into the returns. When I look in the pump basket, it's never full of water. It's so low, in fact, that I can see the water pouring into it from the pool. If I pull out the Kreepy's attachment in the skimmer, the water level comes up, but only a little bit. I've tried applying silicone grease to the O-ring on the suction side union and to the O-ring on the pump's lid, but I still get a lot of air. I've run a hose over all the connections and still have a lot of air and can't detect any leakage.

While I wasn't too concerned about all this a week ago, it seems to have gotten worse to the point that the Kreepy isn't as energetic as it was and the pump is making more noise, too.

What is the best course of action at this point? Also, how full should the pump basket be when running? Should there be any air in it at all?

You might check your skimmer to make sure there's no vortex formed sucking air. I have the same problem with my basket (although not as bad as yours), mine only has air for 30 seconds to a minute, then it's full (but air bubbles keep twirling around in the basket). I'm pretty sure its the basket o-ring, but it's new and greased up, so who knows...

Here is a picture of the running pump:

F4604CAE-14AF-4045-A076-99578A7F31BA-1231-0000016BBC346543.jpg

Bama Rambler said:
It has to be a suction side leak. If it's not the water level or the weir sticking, try resealing the lid & drain plug. Then run water over the sucton fittings while it's running.

I checked the drain plug and it isn't leaking, either. I've already flooded water over all the suction side connections and still I can't get it to fill up.

Could the problem be related to the union? I've greased the O-ring and I've tried flooding it with water. I have 1.5" plumbing coming to and from the pool, so that's a 1.5" union in the photo above. There is a 2" union on the pump's outlet, but it's not leaking.

I'm starting to think the pump may not be big enough, though it was flowing quite well when I first installed it. I've always had some bubbles in the returns after the installation, though. But, it's definitely getting much worse to the point that the filter is filling with air. When I open the bleed at the top of the filter, it blows air for several seconds before water appears.

Pump not big enough has nothing to do with sucking air. The problem is an as yet undiscovered leak on the suction side of your system. It could be ANY part of that suction side from the skimmer to the pump. Your water level is high enough that the skimmer is not sucking air, correct?

duraleigh said:
Pump not big enough has nothing to do with sucking air. The problem is an as yet undiscovered leak on the suction side of your system. It could be ANY part of that suction side from the skimmer to the pump. Your water level is high enough that the skimmer is not sucking air, correct?

Yes, the water in the skimmer is high enough that the subtle vortex that forms when I remove the basket only makes a small dimple in the water's surface.

I suspected I may have cracked the PVC pipe that comes up from the ground from the skimmer, so I flooded water down the pipe after wiggling it a bit to move the dirt away. I still get the air.

This sure is frustrating, especially since it's gotten worse and I'm no closer to solving this problem. It's almost getting worse as the day wears on! :(

On mine it must be the basket o-ring. When it is off, and I put my ear against the bowl lid, I hear a faint pop...pop...pop; and if I hit the lid with a soft mallet, I see fine bubbles coming in from an edge. I may trying adding .010" shims under the bayonet ramps, although it seems to lock very tightly.

It seems I have fixed it. I took apart the pump lid and cleaned everything thoroughly. I scrubbed off the silicone grease and now it's working much better. There is still air trapped in the top amongst the molded chambers of the lid, but it's filled all the way up to the lid and bubbles no longer blow into the pool.

Whew! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.