Liner is bumpy due to a poor installation and hard to clean

Aug 17, 2012
Does anyone have any suggestions on a pool cleaner that I could use that would clean my pool that has a bumpy liner. I have to get in the pool to clean it because of all of the bumps. It is difficult on me because I have neck issues. We had the worst pool people ever to install the pool. We did not know about the bottom until after we had paid the people and it was warm enough to get in. Are there any automatic cleaners or vacuums that would help me?
Thanks!!!!!

Re: Liner is bumpy due to a poor installation and hard to cl

The pool is above ground and 24 foot around. The person that installed it was in the pool stretching the liner. That caused many bumps on the bottom. We are first time pool owners and did not know that when installing the liner the person should not be in there to move the liner like that. We were very upset but did not go back to the pool people because we had had enough. It was horrible!

Being in the pool to finish stretching the liner is standard procedure, they may have done a poor job but just because they were in there to finish getting it in place doesn't imply improper installation.
They may have done a bad job but bumps in the bottom, which dirt will inevitably settle into, is simply part of a typical above ground pool.

Most if not all of the pool cleaners require a smooth surface to work properly. The best solution is to wait till the off season, drain the pool, remove the liner and smooth out the bottom of the pool. I had to do this years ago to a 12x24 AGP after moles got under the liner.

I'm a first time pool owner. This is what I did when we put I our pool up. I got some 3/4" foam board and laid it over my base and duct tape the seams. Now I wish I would have put a tarp or foam vapor barrier over the foam board. The liner is starting to show the foam board seams. Other than that the pool has a great flat and smooth base. It was vary easy to do cost was about 130.00. My pool is 15x30. You do need to make sure that you adjust the base thickness to allow for the foam board.

Reactions: Minni
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.