Nexa Chlor generator

Aug 16, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Anyone have any experience with NexaChlor chlorine generator. http://www.spaandpoolstore.com/nexa-chlor.html

I am a pool newbie, so this forum has been a great help to me, especially Pool School.

We have had our 18' above ground round pool for one year, so this is our second partial summer of use. About two weeks ago, I left the solar blanket off of the pool for about 3 or 4 consecutive days for swimmers' convenience while I was at work. The FC levels kept dropping so I adjusted the timer so my NexaChlor chlorine generator would run 24/7, but FC still dropped to near 0.

Then last Thursday we had a huge rain fall and the pool turned very cloudy. First time for my, so I used the information posted on this forum and the pool calculator to remedy the water. 6 gallons of 10% bleach solution and 1 week later, the water is crystal clear, but FC is still 0. The chlorine generator is still producing "smoke" in the water, but FC just won't come up I have been running the circulation pump 24/7 all summer. What should I do or what is going on?

Here are the chemistry values.

FC 0
pH 7.5
Alkalinity 140 ppm
Hardness 200 ppm
CYA 80 ppm
Salt 3000 ppm
7600 gallons
Water temp 90 degrees

Thank you...

Welcome to TFP :wave:

How are you testing your water? Did you meet all three criteria in the process of shocking your pool, before letting FC come down below shock level? It could be the generator, but I would advocate maintaining adequate FC manually with liquid chlorine until you can get things sorted out. I would hate to see progress made thus far lost.

I have been using test strips and also a 6-way test kit. I realized that the kit doesn't measure combined chlorine so I probably should buy a better one.

Somehow I thought that the superchlorination needed to only last 4 hours. Now that I read the shock process in pool school, I added 3 more gallons of 10% liquid chlorine. The test strips are showing approximately 5 ppm. Should I add more chlorine?

WHOA there ... stop adding chlorine blindly.

Did you use the pool calculator to determine the amount of the 10% chlorine to add? What was your target level?

For 7600 gallon pool, 3 gallons or 10% has raised your FC by 39ppm!!! Obviously you can see why we do not trust test strips :shock:

You are likely well above shock level and risk damaging the pool is you keeping adding more chlorine with no ability to test it.

I would recommend some more reading in Pool School while waiting for one of the recommended test kits to arrive in the mail.

FC level 7.6 ppm and dropping by the day...

TA has been climbing and pH has been dropping throughout this process, or naturally over time, I'm not sure. I've been adding Sodium Carbonate when pH drops to 7.2, but TA has now reached over 200 ppm.

Here are today's chemistry readings:

FC 3 ppm
pH 7.2
TA 200 ppm
CH 200 ppm
CYA 80 ppm

I purchased pH Minus (Sodium Bisulfate) from the local big box store to attempt to lower the TA. How long after I add the pH minus should I wait to test again and then how long should I wait to add Sodium Carbonate?

Thanks as always for the great feedback.

Keith

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.