Advice on re-plaster/cut out cantilever in Dallas, TX

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-

Starting getting quotes on re-plastering our Dallas pool, approx., 28k-30k gallon, "abstract modern" shape with 150 perimeter feet. We're still deciding between colored plaster vs. pebble vs. quartz (and rabidly reading other threads comparing them), but have some bigger issues:

1) 1 of the 7 or so companies we've had out to quote have said they'd keep work to Spring or Fall and that the heat through the Summer would cause cracking during the work. The other 6 or so have no issue with it. Thoughts?

2) If you're in North Texas, you know how the heat and soil have played together over the last 2 years. This pool is probably original with the house, circa 1977. Cantilevered deck. There is no coping to speak of (I'm probably saying this incorrectly)- rather, there is no difference from the surrounding decking (which is some sort of CoolDeck) all the way to an overhang over the pool edge. We moved in just over a year ago, and the tile is separating from the decking above (1/4"-1/2" in some places) and has progressed since we've been in the house. We're not sure if we want explicit coping or not; when speaking about it with the folks who came out to bid, only one called out that we really need to cut out the cantilever and cope it (but stressed that it would be a good idea).

First quote had this: saw cut pool decking 1' from waterline; remove cantilever edge and pool tile; clean expansion joint; remove loose/hollow/etc. pool beam; aluminum plates over skimmers (if applicable); install polyvoid foam for expansion joint; install coping and tile of choice; install deckoseal/mastic in place of foam; saw cut and chip out around tile line and fittings... (then rest of plaster work).

In this climate and soil, would this be mostly necessary (and we'd like to live here for 20 years)? If so, are the above steps sufficient?

Thank you!!

Also, one of the companies (the one that wouldn't do the job mid-summer) mentioned that he'd stay away from quartz or pebble, and stick with plaster, based on all the different angles we've got, and that the sun would be hitting different areas with different intensity (more or less hours through the day) and the inconsistency and coloring would be too much, and the best bet would be white plaster with "dots" (we had these on our previous pool to add color)- I'm talking almost pinpoint specks that were mixed in- just not sure what that finish was called.

Maybe the Diamond Brite finish? It's actually manufactured in Waxahachie. That's what I used. Google it and read up on the installation guideline.. that might help. Sorry can't help you on the other stuff..

Good luck!!!

OK- rephrasing my whole question to this- is there anything necessarily bad about a cantilevered deck, so long as it's floating on top of the beam such that deck movements don't shift/crack/etc. the tile and beam? And I refill the gap if it expands with silicone? In North Texas, it sounds like people would have started with standard coping instead of cantilevered deck if they were during new construction, but either way, SOMETHING is going to be shifting against something else (if the coping is attached to the beam, with an expansion joint/whatever else between the coping and the rest of the deck, the coping shifts against the deck by means of that expansion joint expanding/compressing). Am I missing something here?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.