The water has finally arrived...uh, now what??

Jun 4, 2012
NW CT
Well, after a 2.5 mo install, we finally have water in the pool. But now what do I do? My husband and I have been lurking on this website for well over 3 months now and are going the BBB way. So after lurking for so long and reading everything I could find on BBB, I thought I would know what I was doing when the day finally got here. Well, I just feel overwhelmed. I tested today, and need someone to point me in the right direction. These are my results from the test kit TF100...

FC 1.0
CC .5
TA 30
CH 30
CYA 0? (The black dot never disappeared)
Ph 7.5
Water temp 76

Sooo...i know what I think my ranges should be...but what is the first step to start in that direction?

This is a 26,000 gal above ground.

Hey ... well at least you figured out enough to have the test kit on hand :goodjob:

If you have not added anything at this point ... your CYA is certainly 0ppm. So you should get that hanging in front of a return (shoot for 30-40ppm to start).

And certainly start adding bleach to stay above 2ppm. After the CYA has dissolved (takes a week to show up on the test), assume it is working and start targeting the FC listed in the CYA/FC chart.

TA is pretty low so add some baking soda to get up to around 80ppm or so.

Oh and the most important thing to do : :swim:

Oh ... what is the deal with your signature? Put your pool and equipment details in there please.

The CYA may not show up on the test for a few days.....no real need to test for 5 days or so.

I assume you will dose enough to get to about 50 or so.

I would simply test the OTO chlorine test (in the blue plastic box with the pH test) for the next few days to see if your chlorine starts to rise....it should.

When the OTO gets to around 3-5ppm, then you can retest with the more precise FAS/DPD to start getting your FC stable.

jasonlk1 said:
Well, after a 2.5 mo install, we finally have water in the pool. But now what do I do? My husband and I have been lurking on this website for well over 3 months now and are going the BBB way. So after lurking for so long and reading everything I could find on BBB, I thought I would know what I was doing when the day finally got here. Well, I just feel overwhelmed. I tested today, and need someone to point me in the right direction. These are my results from the test kit TF100...

FC 1.0
CC .5
TA 30
CH 30
CYA 0? (The black dot never disappeared)
Ph 7.5
Water temp 76

Sooo...i know what I think my ranges should be...but what is the first step to start in that direction?

This is a 26,000 gal above ground.

Also the test kits dont come with that much CYA reagent so once you add CYA, wait a day or two to measure it again. You also can rerun the test by pouring the reacted mix out of the test tube and pouring it back in.

Finally, I just pour my CYA directly in to the skimmer. I get full dissolution within 24 hours. The only downside is that you cant clean the filter for a few days otherwise you risk washing out undissolved CYA.

Once you have the CYA at the right level you simply dont need to test it unless you get a rainstorm that causes your pool to overflow, you have backwashed a ton or you have gotten a huge amount of splashout.

On a daily basis you are looking at testing FC and pH. However since you have an above ground your pH will probably stay pretty stable.

When I first started I tested FC a few times a day to get a feel for it. Now I test it about once every 3 days.

Things like TA, CH etc dont change that much so I dont bother to test them often. Maybe once a month at the most.

Also the test kits dont come with that much CYA reagent
The TF-100 has an 8 oz bottle of CYA reagent. each test uses about 1/2 ounce so in theory, enough for 16 tests but at least enough for 15 tests.

If you run out of CYA before a couple of years, you are probably testing too much as it should be one of the most stable items in the pool.

I suggest testing CYA once a week for the first few weeks of start up and then once monthly after you get to know your pool.

Of course, other parameters require more frequent testing.

Do not misunderstand, I am thrilled to get refill orders.......I just got back from taking my youngest to UNC-Chapel Hill and I've got one at Texas A&M. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for everyones help and my apologies in not responding back. (Not enough swimming, too much working) Soooo....in the last few weeks, this is how it's looking...

pH 7.6
FC .5
CC .5
TA 100
CYA 40
TC 1
CH 30

I know my FC, CC and therefore my TC is low. Have added my bleach already tonight. Haven't found my formula for keeping it just right. Seems perfect one day, way low the next.

Also, my deep end is kind of a green color. I sometimes wonder if this is an optical illusion, but I don't think so. The rest of the pool is crystal clear.

Any thoughts out there?

Well, since you let the FC drop so far below the minimum for your CYA level ... algae likely started.

Bump the FC up to shock level and do the OCLT to see if anything is living. If it is, then start the shock process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is OCLT? I tested my chlorine this morning and it is back up to where I want it to be.

How do I maintain the level? Should I be putting in a certain amount everyday? And how do I determine what amount this should be? I use the calculator to determine how much to put in there, but if the levels are fine, I do nothing. I'm beginning to think I need to be adding something daily?

The OCLT is the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. There's a link in my sig for it.

Since you had low FC and are seeing green I'd raise the FC to shock level for your CYA and run the OCLT as JB suggested.

On a day to day basis you should test and adjust FC every day. You should never let your FC get below 3 ppm. When it gets below 5 ppm you should add enough bleach to raise it back about 7 ppm. That you never have to worry about anything getting started.

Another question...once I shock it, how long before its safe to swim again. We are planning a pool party tomorrow and I don't want to shock it tonight if it won't be safe tomorrow. :(

Hers said:
Another question...once I shock it, how long before its safe to swim again. We are planning a pool party tomorrow and I don't want to shock it tonight if it won't be safe tomorrow.
Just so I make sure we are on the same page....the shocking process is a process and not an event...

If the water is clear, you could delay the shocking process until after the pool party. Make sure the FC level is up towards the normal max for you cya level (poolcalculator.com gives me 7 ppm FC for 40 ppm cya) before and during the party. Our guideline is that you can swim up to your shocking FC level.

Hers
I have found it is easier to test my water in the evening right after the direct sunlight is off the pool.
I check fc and ph 7 days a week and add as needed, what I do is add 2 ppm over my target fc and by the next evening when I test the water it is usually at my target level of 5 ppm and then I add enough bleach to bring the fc back up to 7 ppm, I don't want to be any where near my minimum fc level so I don't have to worry about the dreaded green abyss. Also on Saturday evening is my big day for my full battery of tests and adjust as needed but I have not needed to adjust anything but fc and occasionally the ph, and I vacuum and brush the pool and clean out my skimmer and pump debris baskets. All pools are a little different and what works for me might not work for you,but the way I do it, it takes me 10 minutes a day and about a hour on Saturday and I have not had to shock my pool EVER...........Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.