Hello from Atlanta with question about tc vs free c Help :o(

Hi Julie,

Perhaps this will help: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=2375

The best advice I could give you is to get a good test kit like the TF Test kit sold on this site by duraleigh. Link in my sig.

Your goal is FC with no CC! In other words, ideally, your FC and TC are the same :)

The only way for you to achieve this in your pool right now is to shock; however, the method to use is outlined in Jason's post on the previous page.

Most of us prefer liquid chlorine for shocking purposes. You can buy the 10-12% stuff from the pool store, or the unscented 6% bleach from any grocery store. Use Jason's calculator to determine the correct dose for shocking your pool.

Post back if you have more questions. We want to help you!

(btw, forget what the pb said. He is obviously unaware of the chemistry here.)

Re: no free ch level

Welcome aboard.

artsyjulie said:
The total ch level never went any higher than 10 each time.

I bet you mean total chlorine? FYI, ch on this forum means Calcium Hardness. We seldom just use chlorine on test but more specifically in FC (free chlorine), CC (combine chlorine) and TC (total chlorine). FC is the healthy soldier waiting to fight any contaminant. CC are the injured soldiers who cannot work and are waiting to die (in the sun), I mean CC not any of our real life soldiers. TC is the total of FC and CC. When you got CC above 0.5, it means there are dying chlorine and shocking are necessary to kill the contaminant.

Read the stickies found on themain page of this forum, such as "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and "What to test for and what the tests mean".

Vincent.