Diamondbrite vs regular plaster

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Folks,
The builder is quoting me $3800 up charge for the Diamond brite plaster finish versus regular plaster. PebbleTEC is $9800 upcharge which is well outside of my budget. (Pool size is 16x32 rectangular).

First off, are these costs way too high?

Second, is there really an advantage on going Diamondrbite vs. regular plaster? Will it give me better durability and longivity? From my understanding regular plaster is based on marble where is diamnd brite is based on quartz. Is that right?

Thanks

Azmp1 said:
Folks,
The builder is quoting me $3800 up charge for the Diamond brite plaster finish versus regular plaster. PebbleTEC is $9800 upcharge which is well outside of my budget. (Pool size is 16x32 rectangular).

First off, are these costs way too high?

Second, is there really an advantage on going Diamondrbite vs. regular plaster? Will it give me better durability and longivity? From my understanding regular plaster is based on marble where is diamnd brite is based on quartz. Is that right?

Thanks

Both upcharges seem excessive to me, however there is little doubt that the aggregate finishes are far more desirable in the long run.

Diamond Brite uses small quartz bits mixed into regular plaster. So, while there is plenty of quartz in the mix, I wouldn't call it quartz based as there is plenty of regular plaster (without any quartz) involved.

Those prices are reasonable, though it is often possible to do better.

Great, thank you for the feedback folks. The pricing does sounds high to me as well, highest i got from any builder. This particular builder is not the cheapest overall though but has good ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PB would have charged $4200 for upgrade to Pebble Tec for a similar sized pool. We opted for the smoother finish of Pebble Fina to lessen the chance of skin abrasions for the young 'uns and elderly. That was $2800 extra. This for prices quoted 2 years ago, with actual build in Dec 2010.

So we did ended up doing the Diamond Brite (perl) finish. Turned out beautiful. But it is most definitely a much more abrasive finish then then just the regular plaster. Overall, we're very happy with the finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.