Which test kit?

jcp

Aug 14, 2012
Mid Missouri
Hi,

I jumped into pool ownership late in the season this year. We got an 18'x48" easy set, I figured it would be good for me to practice pool maintenance on; as well as give the kids a couple years to get taller before we switch to a deeper hard side pool.

I've learned a lot here that is helping me plan to be ready for next year. Two things I know I need to do heading into next year are to upgrade to a sand filter and get a better test kit.

So my question on the test kit is; TF-100 or K-2006? Our water supply has a very high TA (290 ish from the tap), so that is something I will definitely need to be able to monitor and adjust. Should I lean towards the K-2006 since it includes the acid demand test, or can I do what I need to with the TF-100? I'm leaning towards the TF-100 because of the association with the forum, but I've also seen people ask for acid demand results dealing with TA.

Thanks, Josh

There is really no need for acid demand when you have ph and TA results (and borate levels...if you are using borates). Basically, the acid demand is not as informative as knowing those other parameters...i.e. a poor substitute.

I would vote (and have bought) for the TF-100, it really is the most bang for buck (most reagent volume) and Dave has fast shipping.

Linen,

Thanks for the reply. I went back to the pool calculator and see that it is quite simple to figure out with the ph and TA entered in.

Another question in regards to lowering TA. Is it ok to add the amount of acid required to lower the ph to 7.0; even if it exceeds the maximum amount per application recommended on the acid container?

We recommend you lower the pH to between 7.0 and 7.2 while trying to lower the TA (I assume you have seen the article in pool school?).

It is fine to add any amount you need by pouring slowing in front of a pool return. You may want to start out with a little less to make sure you do not lower the pH too much at first.

I bought the K-2006 last week and wished I would have gotten the TF 100 I already had to order new reagents for FC and CYA (I was in the shocking process and alot of FC reagent)
I did order them from the TFTest site. The shipping was super fast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jcp said:
Hi,

I jumped into pool ownership late in the season this year. We got an 18'x48" easy set, I figured it would be good for me to practice pool maintenance on; as well as give the kids a couple years to get taller before we switch to a deeper hard side pool.

I've learned a lot here that is helping me plan to be ready for next year. Two things I know I need to do heading into next year are to upgrade to a sand filter and get a better test kit.

So my question on the test kit is; TF-100 or K-2006? Our water supply has a very high TA (290 ish from the tap), so that is something I will definitely need to be able to monitor and adjust. Should I lean towards the K-2006 since it includes the acid demand test, or can I do what I need to with the TF-100? I'm leaning towards the TF-100 because of the association with the forum, but I've also seen people ask for acid demand results dealing with TA.

Thanks, Josh

I have the K2006 and I really like the acid demand test. It is really helpful to know how many ounces of acid I need when the color is off the charts.

For volumes I just buy the 2 ounce taylor replacements

march2012 said:
I have the K2006 and I really like the acid demand test. It is really helpful to know how many ounces of acid I need when the color is off the charts.

Do you just refill the existing smaller bottles so you can store the kit the same way?

UnderWaterVanya said:
march2012 said:

Do you just refill the existing smaller bottles so you can store the kit the same way?

Yeah, the tips just come off

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.