Stagger pump run times ? or one long run ?

I think your going to get about as many different answers to that question as there are people on this forum. I personally have a single speed pump that I run from 10 AM until 8 PM. I choose that time because that's when my family and friends will be using it the most and when I feel its most important to circulate the water.

The amount of actual run time varies from pool to pool. For me 10 hours keeps my pool looking the best.

Bjarni said:
I think your going to get about as many different answers to that question as there are people on this forum. I personally have a single speed pump that I run from 10 AM until 8 PM. I choose that time because that's when my family and friends will be using it the most and when I feel its most important to circulate the water.

The amount of actual run time varies from pool to pool. For me 10 hours keeps my pool looking the best.
What he said.

I have a single speed pump and run it from 9:00am-6pm. These are the hours my pool receives the most direct sunlight. If I have people over for a later swim, I usually just turn the pump back on for a few hours until all the swimming is done.
Pump Run Time from Pool School.

Dittos

Single speed pump that I run from 10am-7pm, but this is mainly due to new solar panels this year.
I also have a timer so I play a bit with the run times, right now it comes on at 2:30am-3:00am just to give it a stir, without the timer I wouldn't worry about that but since I can do it, I do.

There are some advantages to running at multiple times ... should better keep the surface skimmed before anything can sink. Makes sure the water stays mixed.

Generally running during the day is slightly better than at night to keep the chlorine circulated, but if your electric is cheaper at night ... then that quickly outweighs the advantage of running in the day.

I've done it both ways.

When I first took over the pool it was running 14 hours a day which I bumped up during a minor algae outbreak to 22hrs/day (I didn't know how to take the timer out of the equation then!) These days I have the pump set to run three 2-3 hour times a day spaced out evenly around the clock.

EDIT: I cannot say if this is better or worse - not a lot of data to go on.

I'm currently running mine about 8 hours a day, from 4am till noon. I like it to be off while swimming just to be more peaceful out there.
I have an automatic cover so have less concern about the sun's effects. My power company is looking to offer me year-round discounted rates if I'll limit power usage during summer between the hours of 3pm and 7pm. We're considering it seriously.

I have a solar cover that stays on most of the time, so I don't worry too much about surface skimming. I spread my run throughout the 24 hour cycle... mostly at night because my power if cheaper at that time. I do 10pm-4am, 8am-10am, and 6pm-8pm. If I use the pool during an "off" time, the pump changes from the set schedule to compensate so it doesn't do more than one turnover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run mine from 11am to 7pm, this way when we swim during the day its bug free. and if we swim passed 7pm i just manually turn the filter back on.

I do have the filter run 15 minutes before sunrise just to stir up the water.

Im currently running mine from 7:30 to 10:30 during the week and 10:00 to 14:00 in the weekend, it's a small pool and the middle of winter where we are. Still experementing with run times as have only moved into the house a month or so ago. I have it at that time so I can feed the pool before I go to work. Plug in timers are cheep here and easy to adjust

gdog2004 said:
just wondering --I have a heyward 2 speed pump. I run it on low for 12 hours straight.
I put it on high when I add chemicals or vacuum.

We mostly swim in the afternoon. Since the skimmers dont clean that well on low, I have mine set to run on high for 2 hours around 2-4pm. So I do low from about 9am-11pm and high from 2-4 pm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.