Can you check my pool pump setup for me?

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Guys I am researching something I was told... without explaining can you tell me what pump HP I should have with this set up:

Pool 16 x 33 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (not sure of HP). Hayward Chlorinator cl200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.

Was told I needed at least a 1.5 HP pump...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• web1.jpg
    web1.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 149
linen said:
From the information you supplied, your pump is well sized for your filter and pool.

Who told you it wasn't? Are you having trouble?

I totally agree with this comment, your existing pump outperforms most 1 HP pumps, and I can see no reason to change.

My local pool store said that a 3/4 pump was not enough for my pool with the 300 LB sand filter... he said 1 1/2 - 2 HP is needed. My pressure reading on my filter is a constant 10-11 psi. Drops a little when I turn on the Polaris. Other than that... I do notice that I get bubbles out of the returns, unless I have the eyeballs in the jets...

The pump says 3/4 on the motor but the site says:

MOTOR SQ FL, ½ HPF, ¾ A, 1 PHASE,

60 Hz, STD, 230/115V — (Almond)

thoughts?

Is that pipe all 1.5"?

On the pump motor there should be an HP listed along with SF - Service Factor. I suspect the SF rating is more than 1.0. I by way of comparison have a 1.5HP pump motor with a Service Factor of 1.0. This is a weaker pump than a 1.0 HP with a service factor of 1.6 - the details matter. It honestly sounds like a ploy to get you to buy a pump.

Lastly my understanding is that slower, lower pressure, filtration is better - less chance for things to push through.

How long do you run the pump and are you having problems with water quality?

Agreed. If it is working , why worry. A larger pump will just cost more to run.

The ONLY thing that a small pump may struggle a bit with is doing a good job of backwashing ... but that it not likely a problem.

The pipe is all 1.5 best I know (the pool equipment pipe is for sure)... the pool is new to me so unsure of underground. The pump shows a 1.30 SF as well as .98 SFHP HP is 3/4.

I run the pump 24/7.. no trouble with the pool tests as of yet... I put back about 1/2 to 1 inch of water a week (give or take... depends on the kids getting in and out).

myrddin said:
My local pool store said that a 3/4 pump was not enough for my pool with the 300 LB sand filter... he said 1 1/2 - 2 HP is needed. My pressure reading on my filter is a constant 10-11 psi. Drops a little when I turn on the Polaris.

I have a similar sized pool (traditional shallow end / deep end 3.5 - 5.75') and a 1.5HP Hayward pump I mentioned earlier. My sand filter is 200lbs roughly (S210T) and runs the same basic pressure you mention including the drop in pressure when running my Polaris 380 and the dedicated booster pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
myrddin said:
what are the signs of to small of a pump?

Only thing I can think of would be inadequate flow/filtration ... if your water is clear, then you are good to go.

It may not be powerful enough to run a solar system on a 2-story roof (or maybe it could barely) ... but that is not in your equation.

myrddin said:
So you guys think I should be fine... guessing he was trying to make some money off me? I will do more research... unsure why he would of told me that. what are the signs of to small of a pump?

If your other dealings with him have been good and he hasn't struck you as greedy - he's probably just misinformed. He may genuinely think that you need that size and not understand the relationships of Service Factors, pump head, suction head etc.

that is what I was int he pool place for... the heater was cutting out... but I just replaced the water pressure switch. I also had to order a new keypad (was unable to turn temp up or down). I can get a 1 1/2 HP pump for 200 bucks new (Pentair superflo) if I need it I can do it... otherwise if I dont I have no reason to waste the money. I guess I need to test the heater agn to se if I have any problems and go from there.

Hmmm ... this could be the issue, but I would think a 3/4HP pump running at 3600 rpm should be moving plenty of water for a heater flow switch ... if it was a 2-speed, I would not be surprised if low did not close the switch.

Looking at the manual it says that the H150-H400 models require 25 gpm minimum (and 125 gpm max). Which model do you have?

I think it is pretty likely that you get much more than 25 gpm with that setup (unless like jbliz said, you have a 2-speed pum that you run on low...then you would be close).

The heater is the H series (pool/spa) I think its the universal one... I just walked out to it and dont see any numbers on it, and the manual has lots of them in it... Any idea how I can get you that info? I was able to start it up and dont think I have had any trouble since I replaced the water pressure switch... I also just replaced the keypad and it works fine as well... but I have only turned it off and on twice and have not given it a lot of run time. Really awesome that you guys are helping... I plan to become a supporter of your site. thanks. agn if I do need to pick up another pump, I can do it, but if I dont have to... I guess why waste the money...

OH it is a single speed pump... Only other thing is I am learning the pool treatment process... so I can only assume that its doing its job? lots to learn. but I know I am in the right place to do so.

I would suggest "Be Calm and Carry On" :) When you work the heater a little more it should become clear if you have a problem. Even then, you may be able to backwash and increase the flow enough for the heater to work ... but I really doubt the pump is too small.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.