1st post, need advice

Apr 30, 2008
This is my first post here, but I have learned tons since joining... but I need a little help.

These numbers came from a pool store, I will be ordering a FAS kit very soon.

FC 4
TC didn't measure for some reason or maybe it was 0 (who knows their form is confusing, she just put a line thru TC....)
PH 7.4
TA 360 (you read it correctly)
CH 150
CYA 40
TDS 1500
PHOS 0

They have suggested adding muriatic acid to get the TA in line... where do I go from here?

PS - tried the digital aquacheck meter (rec. by the salesperson) it said FC 0.4, PH 7.8, TA 236 - just thought i'd post those resuts too- it will be returned today

Hi, Derek,

Welcome to the forum!! :lol:

By the time you put in enough acid to get your T/A down, your pH will be w-a-a-a-y too low.

You'll need to reduce T/a by aeration. I'm pretty sure it's described well in a sticky but post back if you don't see it and me or someone will walk you thru it.

BTW, are you filling from a well?

I am in the middle of the aeration process, took 12 hrs but got the pH from 7.0 back up to 7.4. TA still too high, I have added more acid but also wanted to get my FC a little higher too. What if I push my pH too low by adding both acid and bleach at about he same time. Should I add some BS or soda ash to get it back up quickly or just let the aeration do it, only much slower?

bleach won't lower your pH. Only the acid. If you use ANY chemical to raise the pH if it goes too low use ONLY borax. This will cause the least rise in TA. Any chemical method of raising ph will cause TA to rise. Only aeration won't.

You might consider this fountain to help speed up aeration. Also, turning up the eyeballs of the returns helps and you can use a submersible pump to a hose for a fountain/splash effect as well. An air compressor with an outlet pipe with many small holes put into the deep end is best, but not everyone has one.

Richard

Aeration is working great, I have added almost a gallon of muriatic acid and pH has never gone below 7.0. thanks for the great info. I ordered a TF test kit on friday, so I will post my REAL numbers when it gets here.

question for waterbear about the borax... i plan on adding the borax once i get my numbers under control a little bit. is that something you can just throw in? i read in the stickies about the "process" for adding borates (which I have not done yet). could i have thrown some in anyways if needed?

thanks

First of all I love the new test kit, thanks Dave!!

Here are my numbers
FC 4
CC 6
PH 7.2
TA 280
CYA 100 (I'm not sure about this one, its high, but I am questioning my technique...) I added the amount of CYA last week suggested by a pool store, should have waited I guess...

Looks like I need to get my FC up to help finish off algae or watever it im my CC. And also keep aerating to work on the TA.
Am I on the right track? Couldn't have gotten this far without everyone's help.

derek1027 said:
Aeration is working great, I have added almost a gallon of muriatic acid and pH has never gone below 7.0. thanks for the great info. I ordered a TF test kit on friday, so I will post my REAL numbers when it gets here.

question for waterbear about the borax... i plan on adding the borax once i get my numbers under control a little bit. is that something you can just throw in? i read in the stickies about the "process" for adding borates (which I have not done yet). could i have thrown some in anyways if needed?

thanks
Not sure what you mean by just throw in. If you are adding borax to raise your pH you can dump it in the skimmer but if you are adding borax to increase your borate levels to 50 ppm then you need to add it along with the proper amount of muriatic acid so the ph of your water is maintainded (otherwise it will go through the roof!) and so the boric acid/borate buffer system is created. In that case follow the sticky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was confused about different uses for borax, read the stickies and it is more clear now... as far as the cya addition, went to leslies w/ level of close to 0, they sold me 4lb bucket and said this should get me right where I want to be. I added 3.5 lbs.

3.5 lbs of CYA should have raised a pool your size about 30 ppm. You initially reported a CYA of 40 ppm, which was perfect so if that was correct you shoyld be around 70 ppm now, high but managable.

i had thrown in some granular (tri-chlor i think) before i stocked up on bleach, so that could push me a little higher i believe.

so no more tri-chlor, no more CYA. i dropped the pool level a little and will let the rain dilute it down. have a fiberglass so don't want to drop the water level too low. i am really happy with how the pool looks though. i think i will have a much better time with it this summer than last. thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.