Multiple Pin Holes

Jul 10, 2012
Hi! Everyone!
I have an 18' round Intex pool that we put up the first of July (new) and upon taking it down this last weekend I noticed that there are numerous pin holes in the bottom. We put the tarp down over sand and I am thinking the sand wore through the tarp and the bottom of the pool. It appears it did leak some as there were trails in the sand that looked similar to insect tunnels, weaving through the sand.

My question is what is the best way to patch these? From the bottom or the inside of the pool? I plan on putting the pool away after patching. Should I wait until next year to patch?

I have the standard patch kit that came with the pool, but I also purchased a couple kits made by Poolmaster meant for vinyl pools that contains a clear patch and adhesive.

Thanks for your help and the awesome forum! :whoot:

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I would patch them from the inside and I would use at least the adhesive out of the patch kit you purchased. Cut nice round patches and you will have no problems.

Pretty unusual for sand to be sharp enough to penetrate your pool bottom. I would first suspect something sharp from the inside.

Thanks!
I don't think it was coming from the inside since some of holes have areas of thinner vinyl than others and are irregular in shape on the bottom. I only noticed them when you held them up to the sunlight. There are some that you can tell haven't worn all the way through yet.

Those look like some sort of insect was eating it, do you have carpenter ants? I would patch them from both sides and make the patch about 3/4 inch larger than the hole and use plenty of cement and a little trick I used was put something flat on the opposite side and buy a wallpaper seam roller and roll over the patch for a minute or so. Make the patches round no sharp edges and you might want to spray where the pool sits with a good grass and weed killer and a good insecticide prior to putting down the ground cloth......Mike

You can go to a pool store or wally world and get a deluxe vinyl patch kit and use the clear patch material on the outside of the pool and use your intex material on the inside......Mike

P.S did I mention to make the patch 3/4 of an inch larger all the way around the hole and use plenty of cement?............lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.