Do I have algae? Should I react today?

Aug 12, 2012
Tecumseh, MI
Here are the cliffnotes...bought the house and moved in a month ago, first time I've had a pool (15x30 oval, 11,000 ish gallons, large cartridge filter). Thing had been crystal clear our entire month (and 3 months before buying/moving).

Haven't had rain in weeks/all summer up here. Had steady rains Thurs/Friday/into Saturday. Sunday was to be pool cleaning/vacuum day, filter change, etc. Noticed (along with the normal sand debris) on the bottom that there was a yellow-ish powdery substance on the bottom (not on the sides, but around the outside 2-feet of the bottom). Looked kind of like pine tree pollen, but it's really not that time of year (but who knows with the dryness we have had, who knows how dirty that rain was). Things were a little cloudy too. Not knowing if it was aglae or what, we went ahead and brushed the pool down (didn't vacuum) and things REALLY got murky/cloudy.

Being a newbie, I hadn't got into the BBB method yet but did have 1 1/2 pounds of Cal-Hypo shock, so I shocked the pool sunday evening - didn't see any improvement that night, and really not much Monday and don't see much today either. BUT, I noticed the filter cartridges being dirty after one day. Monday it was like 3/4 covered in a "sea green" / yellowish (dare I say, Dijon mustard yellow) substance, today it was only about 1/2 covered (when I say covered, I mean it had areas that were that color of residue on it, but not what I would call "Build Up" on it).

Now, yesterday I DID order the TF100, but for now all I have is a 2-test OTO kit, or some strips that I have on hand from the "spring opening" kit I already ordered/recieved.

Using a little creative engineering, here are the test results I came up with based on what I have on hand:

FC = btwn 6-8
CC = btwn 12-15
TC = 20-ish
CYA = 80-ish
pH = 7.2
TA = 120

It's been heavy cloudy much of the time since the Sunday shock, sunny for a couple hours late this afternoon is it.

SO, here is my question...should I:

A) Assume it is algae and run out right the second and buy 4 gallons of bleach like the pool calculator suggests?
B) Do NOTHING b/c my creative engineering isn't reliable enough to act on; just be patient for a couple days until my TF100 arrives
C) DON"T PANIC, b/c there IS still showing to be FC in the pool (according to the unreliable strips), so as long as the FC is there I can/should wait for the TF100 and then do the overnight tests and such.
D) Something entirely different?

Thanks for the help!!!

A) Assume it is algae and run out right the second and buy 4 gallons of bleach like the pool calculator suggests?
B) Do NOTHING b/c my creative engineering isn't reliable enough to act on; just be patient for a couple days until my TF100 arrives
C) DON"T PANIC, b/c there IS still showing to be FC in the pool (according to the unreliable strips), so as long as the FC is there I can/should wait for the TF100 and then do the overnight tests and such.
D) Something entirely different?

A) It is probably algae and you will need to shock with chlorine but you will need way more than 4 gallons. 4 gallons will get you to shock value but won't keep you there. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School.

B) That's really pretty close. You can put a gallon of bleach in daily until your kit arrives which will keep the algae sort of at bay until you can test properly.

C) That's pretty close as well....see B) above.

D) See B) above and be sure to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

PS - only post once...we'll see it and we'll all help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.