GFCI Outlet for Pool Light

masand

May 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A question for the electricians here:

Here is my set-up:

I have a dedicated circuit from my house's main CB panel with a GFCI CB installed. The circuit runs directly to the outdoor J-box, which is a weatherproof, 2-gang box that houses a GFCI outlet and the switch for the light. Not sure why it was originally installed with both a GFCI outlet and a GFCI CB since I'm not the original owner.

Last summer the GFCI outlet was tripping and I troubleshot and replaced it with a new GFCI outlet to fix that problem. It worked fine until a few days ago and is now tripping the GFCI outlet again. I wired the light switch directly to the line side of the circuit (taking the GFCI outlet out of the picture) to confirm the outlet (less than a year old) is the problem.

I could accept that I have another bad GFCI outlet except that I have had them in other locations in my houses for the last 25 years and have never had one fail. Does anyone have any ideas if something else may be going on; Maybe something to do with the outdoor location (even though the J-box seals look good and no moisture or corrosion inside)? Maybe something to do with having two GFCIs in the same circuit (outlet and CB)? Or just coincidence that I've had only two failures in years and they just happen to be at the same location?

Thanks,
Mark

It is possible that having two GFCI devices in line with each other may be causing this. On an Electrician forum I hang out on there have been several heated discussions on this subject. Some say it won't cause problems and others swear it does. I have never seen it personaly but have had other goofy problems with them. My dads house had a problem years ago with a GFCI in a bathroom always being tripped. We traced it to the garage door opener. Every time the remote was pressed to open or close the door the radio signal would trip the GFCI. Changed it out for a different brand and never had the problem again.

Since the circuit is on a GFCI breaker, I would ensure it is wired properly and use it for the time being.

Receptacle only tripped when light is turned on.

I replaced it with a GFCI recptcle I had left over from a different project. So far, so good but if it goes again will probably just replace with a standard outlet and let the GFCI CB do the job. Was just curious if others had experienced similar.

Thanks.

I tend to prefer having the GFCI function as close to the end point as possible. This is so that when we at some point sell our house, it will be a simple matter for the next owner to know that outlet is GFCI protected. In addition, I find it easier to test local GFCI circuits than in a breaker panel. That being said, all of our pool equipment is hard-wired, and in that case, since the panel is close to the equipment, I use GFCI breakers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.