Drain Tile Around AGP when Installed?

We are having our AGP installed in 2 days and have been told our lot is approximately 18" out of level higher toward our house, sloping out/downward; one side of our pool has to be dug deeper into the ground than the other. I'm wondering if installing drain tile around the "deeper" dug side would be beneficial in preventing ground water from collecting under and or around that area and help funnel downward? Has anyone done this, and if so - what is the best way to install? I'm thinking it would go around the pool and just be open ended to flow down around the lower grade, but would welcome some ideas or suggestions of materials, prep, any gravel or coverings under or over prior to topsoil, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help! :lol:

If digging into a hillside, there should be at least a foot of more of open space with gravel on the ground to absorb any rain runoff. If the wall created is high enough, a retaining wall will be needed. I discourage using the pool wall as a retaining wall. This will make one side of the pool higher on the ground side. Some, mine area included, have a 52" height requirement or a fence around the pool is required. Its also not good for the pool wall as it can then have unseen corrosion in the buried section and shorten it's life.

Scott

Might be easier to just have 6" (deep) of rock around the perimiter. Water would drain into the rock and follow it around to the low side and drain away. Simpe and effective.
Otherwise drain tile with a filter sock to keep sediment from entering it. Usually some granular material above the drain tile to allow water to get to it.
Covering it with soil might not allow much water to get to the drain tile.

PoolGuyNJ said:
If digging into a hillside, there should be at least a foot of more of open space with gravel on the ground to absorb any rain runoff. If the wall created is high enough, a retaining wall will be needed. I discourage using the pool wall as a retaining wall. This will make one side of the pool higher on the ground side. Some, mine area included, have a 52" height requirement or a fence around the pool is required. Its also not good for the pool wall as it can then have unseen corrosion in the buried section and shorten it's life.

Scott

Same requirement in NY. Certain barrier height is required and if part of that barrier is the AGP pool wall and the wall needs to be dug into ground, you have to leave open space between the wall and grade to maintain the barrier height.

We have a drainage pipe and pea gravel in the same situation. It makes me feel better that we did it... Hubby says gravel would have been enough by itself. I just feared that any heavy rains would work on the sand base of the pool and start giving us problems in the future. Makes me feel better, even if it was over kill. :)

Our height requirement is 42" - which will be compromised, but I plan on building a deck portion around the side that is lower in height - for now, using the vinylworks fence sections around top of seat to satisfy code. I was told as long as the "recessed" portion of the pool is less than 24" a retaining wall is not needed, but to properly grade around the pool for drainage. I am also considering installing a barrier (6mil or greater plastic sheeting) around the pool wall before backfilling and adding the drain tile to provide extra protection agains the pool walls and water/soil is not directly up against it. Any other ideas or opinions very welcome! Thanks again.

I'm burying my AGP a foot on the low side, since I have lots of clay I'm putting in the drain tile with the silt sleeve and then gravel on top of that and will run drainage out away from the pool. The high side will be dug in over three feet deep. I also plan to grade near the walls so run off from higher up doesn't go down the wall. I think most places that have a height requirement also have a distance requirement from other objects so kids can't climb on top of something to get over into the pool/area. I wouldn't think a one foot clearance retaining wall would do much good from a security standpoint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.