Mustard Algae?

Aug 13, 2012
Hello all. I am new here and an owner of a 15'x48'' intex ultraframe pool. We've had no problems all summer until the other day I noticed some yellowish/orange/brown stuff accumulating around the edges of the pool bottom. I assumed it was algae (mustard algae b/c of the color?) so I shocked the pool last night, scrubbed with a brush, and added algaecide this morning. The algaecide I bought was Aquachem 50%. I noticed, after I added it of course, that is says "kills GREEN algae". Should I purchase their Algaecide PLUS which says it kills green, mustard, and black algae? Can I add it right away or should I wait? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

If you'll read around here a little, you'll soon learn that algaecide is neither needed or wanted. I'd take the stuff that you haven't opened back.
You most likely don't have mustard algae. Unless it's growing on the shaded side of the pool on the walls it's just green algae.

Do you have a set of test results you can post for us? And how you got them.

pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

pH is 7.2
FC is about 5
TA is 100

I know I should get a bigger test kit for the rest, but time just got away from me. I added stabilizer when we put the pool up according to the directions and I've been able to keep the chlorine level fine with floater tablets and occasional shock.

I'm glad to hear that its just green algae. I didn't know it could be orangy.

Here's my next question/dilemma with the intex pool. How do I get rid of the DEAD algae once its killed? The vacuum I use is the kind that hooks up to your garden hose with a bag. Its been doing a great job all summer for the big debris. I'm guessing the dead algae is just going to go right through the mesh bag. Do you think if I just keep brushing several times a day and stir it all up the filter will take care of it eventually?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.