Can't keep Chlorine levels up

Aug 13, 2012
I have a 18 X 52 round Intex pool. I had a problem with algae and my water was green. I bought HTH Pool shock and used that and 2 days later the pool water was cloudy and had a green tint. I shocked it again and it is still cloudy, to the point I can't see the second step on ladder.

I took my water to be tested on Thursday and the PH was off so I had to add Dry acid, and a clarifier, as well as some stuff that makes the chlorine last longer in the water. I did all the above, and on Friday it was still cloudy. I added some more clarifier and nothing changed.

I went back to pool store today and had water tested and was told the water was perfect except it had no chlorine. I explained the cloudy water and was asked what I was using. I said HTH shock and Chlorine tablets, they informed me that those products are not 100% Chlorine and have fillers. They told me to use them up since I had them, but gave me a non chlorine shock to put in which I did at 10:30 this morning. I also went to check my chlorine floating thing and found that the tablet had turned to sludge. So I went and bought more and a different brand of Chlorine tablets. I have 3 floating Chlorinators in the pool and one in the filter. I just check the pool at 6 PM and it is still cloudy No change. I put more HTH Chlorine Shock in pool and about 1 hr later I check the pool and only change is I now see particles like the sludge from the HTH Chlorine floating in my pool.

I have bought new filters, brushed the bottom of the pool and have had filter running for 5 days straight. It is 108+ here in Vegas and I really want to use my pool anyone have any ideas.

Need more information. To give and get long distance help there has to be test results that can be trusted. The gold standard of tests is the TF-Test Kit. Lacking a proper test kit really puts pool owners behind the eight ball and at the mercy of pool store testing.

I can't stress enough the need to obtain a proper test kit. Can you give us the test results from the pool store? Even though most pool store tests are wildly inaccurate, they're better than nothing. Here's the most important ones you'll need to get started.

FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH -
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)

Yes, you still need to continue shocking. Its a process instead if an event. Please read up in pool school, especially about shocking and chlorinating. Educating yourself and getting a good test kit will enable you to truly be in control. Welcome to TFP!

You definatly need to order the tf100 test kit from tftestkits.net it will test everything you need and are the best on the market. As for shocking your pool shocking is a process not just adding a bag of shock. I suggest you order the test kit above and read pool school how to shock your pool in the upper right side of the page while you are waiting on your kit to arrive and then re- read it and ask any questions you may have,but understand it will be hard for us to help without a full set of reliable test results..........Mike

Yesterday at 10:30 AM I used the stuff the pool store gave me which was a non chlorine shock, by 8 PM still no change, so I used the HTH shock again with Chlorine. This morning still no change. I also am running filter 24/7. The water is still cloudy and can't see past 2nd step on ladder. I also have 3 floating chlorine things in pool with chlorine in them and one in filter. I think tonight I will try bleach and see if that helps.

Do you have any test kit at all? If you don't you can go to wally world and get a hth 6 way test kit and you can limp by with that, but without reliable test results you will just be blindly dumping chemicles in your pool and I don't suggest doing that it can make things worse and cause you more issues than you already have....read pool school it will help you......Mike

Please stop putting all that powder and tablets in your pool without an understanding for what it is adding to your pool. You may be causing more harm than good (especially to your wallet).

Order one of the recommended test kits.
Read Pool School (button at upper right) a few times to start learning about your pools chemistry and how to properly clear up your pool.

You are going to have to decide if you are going to follow the pool stores advice or our advice. Trying to listen to both is just not going to work.

At a minimum, go have your water tested for everything yeggim listed at the pool store (DON'T buy anything unless it is liquid chlorine) and post up the numbers. We do not put much faith in pool store testing, but it would be better than nothing at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.