pool light repair question...

marty

Jul 10, 2012
CA
Sorry for the dumb question...
How are they sealed, if a tiny leak happened, wouldn't we all end up floating belly up from electricity?

Just trying to get a better understanding, to see if we should try to fix. pg qouted $450!
thanks

Re: TA Reading

The power to the light should be on either a GFCI outlet or breaker. So if it leaked, that should trip and not give you a shock.

There should be a deck box above water level near the pool by the light. That is where the wire from the light is connected to the power and/or switch.

New light fixtures come with a new wire that is pulled through the conduit from the light niche to the deck box.

Are you having a problem?

I am sure we could get you straightened out.

Never actually answered your question. If there is a bulb, then there is a gasket that seals the fixture. There should be one screw holding the fixture in the niche and the fixture can be lifted out of the water to be worked on ... assuming the installer left enough slack in the wire.

Some of the newer led fixtures are one piece that are sealed and not repairable.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

First off, Thank you for your help.
The light does not turn on, its the older style, not led.
Studied post on here, said to tie a string so not to lose wire.
I can use goggles+snorkel to fix right,?
I dont want to drain if possible.

Should be one screw on the top, then pull the fixture out and put it on the deck. Then open and replace bulb and gasket.

May want to confirm power to the deck box before messing with the bulb.

Only time you are pulling wires is if you have to replace the fixture.

I replaced my bulb with a color led bulb.

Sweet, i know they are a business, seems easy enough, why do you think they charge so much? anyways thanks again and i might try the color bulb.
ps can i use the multi meter i have for automotive on deck box?, if it says 120v then its most likely bulb then right?

marty said:
Sweet, i know they are a business, seems easy enough, why do you think they charge so much? anyways thanks again and i might try the color bulb.
ps can i use the multi meter i have for automotive on deck box?, if it says 120v then its most likely bulb then right?

Correct. Unless you have 12v setup which would have a transformer somewhere.

marty said:

I suspect your PG has given you a price for replacing the whole light fixture, not just the bulb. In which case, at least where I am, $450.00 is about right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.