How to Install Solar Blanket?

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
Okay - I thought this would be a no brainer but I realized I had a couple of questions. Hopefully someone here has got the answers or can point me in the right direction to find them.

I just got my 12 mil Solar Blanket and the only instructions that came with it were something like: "Don't get on or under this product in the waterl" AND "We suggest you wait 24 hours before trimming to size." Got it - Okay ... now the questions.

1. Which way do the bubbles go? Down into the water? (my guess) or up?

2. I'll wait for 24 hours before doing the trimming to let the wrinkles smooth out. I knew I'd have to cut this because the closest to my 9x17 rect. pool was a 12x20 rect size (for the price, etc.)

So ... when I cut ... do I CUT OUT a LARGER space around my SKIMMER? I have an AGP with a flexible wall skimmer that attaches to the inside wall of the pool about 6 inches below the edge of the pool and usually about 2 to 3 inches above the waterline. Or would I FIT the blanket to fit under/around the skimmer? I'm thinking I don't want the blanket to get SUCKED into the skimmer basket and trying to figure what's the best way to keep that from happening.

What about cutting around the LADDER? Do I make a CUT OUT (a big hole) or a FLAP to fit around (and inside) the ladder. I have a NEPTUNE A-FRAME STEP LADDER (kinda a hybrid between a regular ladder and steps) if that makes a difference.

How TIGHT of a fit do I need to make when trimming the sides. Because I have a FLEXIBLE WALL SPLASHER AGP - there can be a couple of inches difference on the width and length of the pool depending on how high the water gets. (The walls move out more the higher the water). I read somewhere you don't want it to overlap the sides so that the wind won't pick it up but if there is too big a gap will the thing SINK?

3. Can I run my WANDA WHALE (suction side pool cleaner) under the pool blanket? Will that be a problem? Are there things I should check/change before doing this?

4. I've figured that a Z fold is the way to go but which way do you go first? Which end do you start at? Long side? Short side? Does it matter? This will probably work it's way out with experience but if anyone has some tips BEFORE I realize, "Oh, we should have gone the long way/short way UP/Down first!" that would be helpful.

5. Adding chemicals - I usually add Bleach at night - would it be better to wait a while before putting the cover back on or does it make a difference. What about if I have to super chlorinate?

6. Leaving the blanket on for any length of time - a good thing? bad thing? Such as going on vacation or those days in the spring/fall when the weather isn't quite up to SWIMMING days.

7. Does having a Solar Blanket really make a 10 to 15 degree difference in water temp? Does that mean on those ocassional REALLY HOT days - I would leave it off so not to cook my swimmers? I figure it will help with evaporation and some crud catching but I'm trying to extend our season this year and decided to go this route. It's just 3.5 feet deep so it has gotten pretty warm (like bathwater) on those rare HOT days!

8. The blanket came in a GREY top / Black bottom 'bag'. I figured this was for shipping but I've seen SOLAR POOL COVERS and wonder if this is packaging or a free cover?

Okay - that's all I could think of at this hour.

Thanks,

d

Let me do the best I can. I'm sure others will chime in too.

1. Bubbles go down, smooth side up.

2. I didn't cut a space in front of the skimmer and it seems to work fine. I cut two 2" wide slots for the ladder. I don't think leaving the center open would make a huge difference. I cut the cover allowing about 1/2" between the cover and the pool wall all the way around. The cover should work fine with even a 2" gap.

3. Not sure, but I think the cleaner would work fine under the cover.

4. Folding, putting the cover on and taking it off should be done in whatever way is convenient. It really depends on what space you have around your pool. I seem to do all three differently each time. Just try and keep water off the top of the cover when you put it on the pool.

5. When adding bleach, I peel back a few feet of the cover to gain access to the return. I add the bleach and then put the cover back on after waiting 10 or 15 min. This allows the chlorine to disperse a bit which may lengthen the cover life. I suspect this is not a big issue and there would be no problem with putting the cover back on right away.

6. You should remove the cover at least every few days for a few hours to allow out gassing. I try and remove the cover a few hours before swimming as well. I do leave the cover on during the time I'm away, which can be up to 10 days. I do remove the cover for several hours before swimming after returning.

7. 15 degrees is possible if you live in an area with low humidity and cool nights. I find the cover raises the temperature more like 10 degrees during the spring and fall and maybe 4 degrees during the peak of the summer.

8. I saved the shipping bag and use it for winter storage. Also, most solar covers come with a storage bag. The solar cover makes a very effective green house. If you leave it folded in the sun the internal temperature will get high enough to damage the cover. Most solar covers come with a white storage bag to cover the solar cover when it's not on the pool.

Thanks for tackling my questions EXCHEMIST. It all sounds good to me.

I realize that post was a long one - I, too , should stay off the 'puter when it get's late. HA! But when I couldn't even figure out which way the bubbles went - I knew I needed to SEEK help!

Thanks,

d

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.