Okay - I thought this would be a no brainer but I realized I had a couple of questions. Hopefully someone here has got the answers or can point me in the right direction to find them.
I just got my 12 mil Solar Blanket and the only instructions that came with it were something like: "Don't get on or under this product in the waterl" AND "We suggest you wait 24 hours before trimming to size." Got it - Okay ... now the questions.
1. Which way do the bubbles go? Down into the water? (my guess) or up?
2. I'll wait for 24 hours before doing the trimming to let the wrinkles smooth out. I knew I'd have to cut this because the closest to my 9x17 rect. pool was a 12x20 rect size (for the price, etc.)
So ... when I cut ... do I CUT OUT a LARGER space around my SKIMMER? I have an AGP with a flexible wall skimmer that attaches to the inside wall of the pool about 6 inches below the edge of the pool and usually about 2 to 3 inches above the waterline. Or would I FIT the blanket to fit under/around the skimmer? I'm thinking I don't want the blanket to get SUCKED into the skimmer basket and trying to figure what's the best way to keep that from happening.
What about cutting around the LADDER? Do I make a CUT OUT (a big hole) or a FLAP to fit around (and inside) the ladder. I have a NEPTUNE A-FRAME STEP LADDER (kinda a hybrid between a regular ladder and steps) if that makes a difference.
How TIGHT of a fit do I need to make when trimming the sides. Because I have a FLEXIBLE WALL SPLASHER AGP - there can be a couple of inches difference on the width and length of the pool depending on how high the water gets. (The walls move out more the higher the water). I read somewhere you don't want it to overlap the sides so that the wind won't pick it up but if there is too big a gap will the thing SINK?
3. Can I run my WANDA WHALE (suction side pool cleaner) under the pool blanket? Will that be a problem? Are there things I should check/change before doing this?
4. I've figured that a Z fold is the way to go but which way do you go first? Which end do you start at? Long side? Short side? Does it matter? This will probably work it's way out with experience but if anyone has some tips BEFORE I realize, "Oh, we should have gone the long way/short way UP/Down first!" that would be helpful.
5. Adding chemicals - I usually add Bleach at night - would it be better to wait a while before putting the cover back on or does it make a difference. What about if I have to super chlorinate?
6. Leaving the blanket on for any length of time - a good thing? bad thing? Such as going on vacation or those days in the spring/fall when the weather isn't quite up to SWIMMING days.
7. Does having a Solar Blanket really make a 10 to 15 degree difference in water temp? Does that mean on those ocassional REALLY HOT days - I would leave it off so not to cook my swimmers? I figure it will help with evaporation and some crud catching but I'm trying to extend our season this year and decided to go this route. It's just 3.5 feet deep so it has gotten pretty warm (like bathwater) on those rare HOT days!
8. The blanket came in a GREY top / Black bottom 'bag'. I figured this was for shipping but I've seen SOLAR POOL COVERS and wonder if this is packaging or a free cover?
Okay - that's all I could think of at this hour.