Skimmer leaking

Mom5

Jun 10, 2012
Loosing a 1/4 inch or more A day in vinyl in ground pool. We thought our skimmer was leaking so we tore off the deck and found that dirt has settled about 1foot around pool. We dug down a few feet around concrete pad because we thought maybe the leak was in the skimmer pumbing and no moisture. Today I looked under pad and saw where it was wet behind the skimmer wall like the leak is coming from the face plate now where do I start?

If its just surface rust, I wouldn't worry. If the screws are tight, they are good. If the skimmer is a Hayward, snap in face plate covers are available and relatively inexpensive. Anderson makes dye filled syringes with a 4" tube instead of a needle for help finding leaks. The tube keeps the hand away and that reduces turbulence. The ink is nearly neutral in buoyancy but does sit. Any leaks near it though will suck in the dye. They are cheap and work better than food coloring.

If the liner needs replacing, don't wait. The damage water can cause behind the liner will wind up costing you. I had one last year that cost a customer a couple grand additional. He wound up with rusted walls and wash outs in the floor and hopper.

Scott

Bought the GE silicone2 clear it states not for use below the water line. I called and they said they don't have a caulk to remain submersed? Should I buy something else or is this the right one?
Thanks!

Mom5 said:
Bought the GE silicone2 clear it states not for use below the water line. I called and they said they don't have a caulk to remain submersed? Should I buy something else or is this the right one?
Thanks!

We use aquarium cement (don't remember the manufacturer's name).

Don't let it cure underwater. The GE silicone is a band aid. You liner isn't far from going in all likelihood so its an easy to remove fix. It should last through the Winter.

I sort of like the idea of the aquarium tank cement for a potentially long lasting solution but removal after a couple years is a tough thing.

Scott

Thanks. I used dap 100%silicone green tube for aquarium. Still leaking inch since Monday night. Now water level is right above the returns What do you recommend if we are going to put new liner in next year. Inground vinyl so we can't drain. We have a lot of trees. I was thinking about laying solid cover right on water then covering with the loop lock vinyl cover. It has 3 drains on it. We did not get to open until June 16 th this year and the water was black probably from the dirt leaking in the 3 screens. This would keep the fall
Leaves out and the dirt on top if we don't loose all water from leak.. We live in kc,mo.
Thanks for your help. I love this site it has gave me confidence and I no longer use the pool store

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.