My doctor is absolutely opposed to chlorine

Aug 12, 2012
This all misses an important point. Though chlorine is easier, and baquacil can be a pain (as well as expensive), my doctor is absolutely opposed to chlorine use for health reasons. If salt were an option for us, we would consider it. I am hoping to learn more about some other non-chlorine options that may work, be acceptable to my doctor, and be easier than baquacil. Until then, I'm stuck with baquacil.

Welcome to TFP!

Nearly every single problem with chlorine is the result of CC levels in badly maintained indoor pools. Properly maintained outdoor pools almost never have any of those problems.

There are only three options: chlorine, bromine, and baqua. Bromine is somewhere in-between chlorine and baqua in both expense and problems, though most people who have real (rather than imagined) problems with chlorine will have the same problems with bromine that they have with chlorine.

It is possible to manage baqua on an ongoing basis if you replace your filter media and half of your water every year. The costs remain high, but at least replacing the filter media and water gets rid of the worst of the problems.

By the by, salt systems have chlorine in the water just like regular chlorine pools. The salt system makes the chlorine as needed instead of chlorine being added manually.

While they may be a doctor, they are petty ignorant regarding pool chemistry.

Unless you have well water, there may be more chlorine in your tap water.

Another thing to realize is that a private pool with stabilizer had a much lower active chlorine level than public pools. There is a lot of information here regarding the chemistry.

Also realize that a salt water pool is a chlorine pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Chris111 said:
This all misses an important point. Though chlorine is easier, and baquacil can be a pain (as well as expensive), my doctor is absolutely opposed to chlorine use for health reasons. If salt were an option for us, we would consider it. I am hoping to learn more about some other non-chlorine options that may work, be acceptable to my doctor, and be easier than baquacil. Until then, I'm stuck with baquacil.

time for a new doctor?

I don't know why he would be - he washes his hands in tap water that is way higher in unstabilized chlorine. Unless he has invested in some miracle-pool-system manufacturer...

Center for Disease Control is a big fan of Chlorine:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/rwi/index.html Maybe the doc just wants to drum up some business treating skin rashes, urinary tract infections, and whatnot.

Without knowing the specific objection it is hard to advise. The only real option may be baquacil.

Feel free to give more info and ask more questions...

Sent via Tapatalk...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the OPs only post from over 3 months ago ... pretty sure they are no longer around since there has been no response.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

bolleat said:
as a physician myself I am often embarrassed and disappointed in some of the ignorance of my colleagues.

I feel the same way about fellow engineers when I come across some ridiculously stupid design ... you know like all modular furniture instructions ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.