sugestoins on bying a new automatic Valve.

scubatampa

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Tampa, FL
My pool currently has a manual valve in place to direct the output of the flow to the Pool only or the Spa only or a combonation. I would love to be able to automate this and thus wondering what I should use. My pool currently uses X10 Pro switches to turn the Pump on and off, and my lights on and off. so I do not have any actual automation pool products beside the X10 Pro switches and the controller to turn things on and off that is located in my office.

The only reason I want to do this is to eliminate the need to step outside the screened in enclosure to turn the handle when I want to use the SPA, and then go out afterward and turn if back. If I am going to have to spend 150.00 on a valve and another $200.00 on a controll panel (Or More) then it will not be worth it. Please let me know my options?

I do not know how the x10 system works.

To automate the valves you need an actuator to turn your existing valves. You can find the Intermatic ones for around $70 each, you would need two. They run on 24 volts, so you would have to figure out a way to supply that power.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

If you are pretty handy and understand a bit about electronics, relays, and wiring, I may be able to help.

I completely converted our fried Aqua Link system to X10 -- pumps, lights, and valves. For the valve (mine switches between water feature and returns), I have a Jandy actuator that takes a 24V supply: supply 24V on one lead and it turns one way, supply 24V on the other and it turns the other way. To get it to switch, I use a relay that's controlled from an X10 appliance module: current on causes the relay to switch, off and the relay resets to normal-off position. If I haven't lost you yet and/or you're still interested in hearing more :) let me know!

One thing to note: my actuator goes all the way one way or the other, it can't stop 1/2 way, which may not work for you. I'm sure there are those that can.

-Bob

Interesting. For my application, having it go one way or the other is preferred (water feature either on or off) but scubatampa may want three positions. Can't do that with my relay setup, I'd have to stop applying 24V at the half way point. (Good thing I didn't have to figure that out!)

What I meant was there are stops in the actuator that stop it moving in a direction. I think even if it is getting power to continue. They are not setup for three positions ... but if you are controlling the voltage I suppose you could stop earlier before the internal stops come into play.

jblizzle said:
What I meant was there are stops in the actuator that stop it moving in a direction. I think even if it is getting power to continue. They are not setup for three positions ... but if you are controlling the voltage I suppose you could stop earlier before the internal stops come into play.

The internal stops on the actuators do not mechanically stop the valve. They're actually cams that stop the voltage to the actuator motor when they reach their setting limit. And they can slip, resulting in valves that move too far or not far enough. Very annoying. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.