Main Drain confusion

jlhaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2007
Hello,

In looking at my pool equipment, in the skimmer there are 2 holes at the bottom (below the basket) Does this indicate that the main drain is connected through the skimmer?

Also, there is an old looking Jandy valve in front of the pump, would this be used to control the flow from the main drain or skimmer?

Should I do anything with this while cleaning the pool? there is a lot of debris and what I am sure is algae, by mixing the flow between the skimmer & main drain (if this what this valve is used for) would this help clear the bottom of the pool?

Should I even try to do some testing with this old valve or am I asking for trouble? This pool had a lot wrong with it since the house was empty for so long so i'm just trying to get the hang of it and understand exactly what's going on :)

Thanks!

In looking at my pool equipment, in the skimmer there are 2 holes at the bottom (below the basket) Does this indicate that the main drain is connected through the skimmer?
Unless you have two skimmers, yes.

Hard to comment on your plumbing without a picture....got one?

Sorry it took so long

duraleigh said:
Unless you have two skimmers, yes.

Hard to comment on your plumbing without a picture....got one?

This is the first pic taking opportunity I've had in daylight :)

Ignore the puddle of water, I just discovered that today. the pump was just replaced 2 weks ago and just started leaking. The repairman will be out today.

So if this handle does control the main drain, if I brush stuff to the main drain this should allow it to be picked up?

Thanks!

Attachments

• handle s.JPG
    handle s.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 121
duraleigh said:
I cannot see nearly enough of your plumbing to have an opinion. Even if I could see it all, I probably couldn't answer your question.

Open it up and see what happens!!

Oh gosh thats a bit of a scary proposition! :) But I guess thats the only true way to tell!

Thanks!

I have a Hayward Skimmer with two holes in the bottom. There is actually an extra attachment you can purchase to connect the main drain to the suction pipe and control the main drain.

I was complaining to my pool vendor for a year about their being no suction on my main drain and they just kept ignoring me. Local Leslies pool store manager actually drove over to look at it and then called hayward for me to get the right part #.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.