New to pools. Green water!

Aug 12, 2012
I've got a 8200 gal above ground pool with a cartridge filter and a SWG. I live in rural Nova Scotia Canada. I set the pool up 6 weeks ago. I couldn't get a water truck to come fill it. I filled it with water out of my tap which is feed by a natural spring. Initially I had sediment in the pool which caused a brown cloudy looking water. Now my pool is still cloudy but has a green cast to it. It doesn't appear to be algea its just green. I have used non-chlorine shock, hypochlorite, and algeacide. Haven't noticed a change. Any ideas? The last test I did this am was FC 5.1 PH 7.2 and ALK 88 with an Aqua check digital strip reader. I tried the regular compare colour strips but I couldn't determine the colours, I have a diffencency in colour definition (partial colour blindness). I would like to have the water Proffesionaly tested but can't find a shop locally (within 150 miles) that can test it.

Attachments

• pool water.jpg
    pool water.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 70
professionally tested by a pool store is kind of an oxymoron. We see so often on the forums that pool stores testing leaves much to be desired and the only thing worse is test strips.

The recommended drop kits require counting drops needed to make the color change, but color matching, so that might work for you.

If you search in the forum for test kits in Canada you can find the Taylor distributor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, NovaNewfie :wave:

I would echo the need for an appropriate test kit. The TF-100 is the best bang for buck with fast shipping too.
Too bad she's in Canuckistan, where Someone else has the Taylor monopoly so no US vendors can sell the stuff competitively priced.

I would say trying the shock process for a couple days, then if it doesn't start to clear up, it might be time for some sort of floc or clarifier. I have no idea what's for sale in rural Nova Scotia,

Sorry guys I'm not a she... I've had the green discolouration for about 4-5 weeks running the filter 24/7 cleaning and or replacing filter daily still getting a lot of red pug (fine reddish clay sediment). I've added non chlorine shock and 10.5% hypochlorite on two occasions 5L at a time in a 32'000 litre pool the jug says that 1 litre per 10'000 L is enough to super chlorinate. Was running the SWG 12 hours a day (never used the pool for 3 weeks as wife and son were away). I've since cut it back to six hours a day as cl reading (if correct) were up around 30ppm.
I belive a test kit would be in order if I could find one that would work correctly. I've got 4 or 5 different strips and the digital reader they seem to vary considerably in consecutive tests. The digital reader from accuchek is crazy as h**l I can take two consecutive readings one after the other and get reading on both ends of the scale one reading may say PH is low and ALK is hi and CL may be 25 next test PH and ALK are ok and CL is 2 both tests taken at same spot two monutes apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.