Spa Drains Back to Pool (Las Vegas NV)

zipzit

Aug 11, 2012
Las Vegas, NV USA
Help! First posting here. We are the new owners of a home with pool. Yowza! House built in 2006, so the pool equipment seems to be of that vintage. There is an 'attached' spa that drains into the pool. The water level of the spa is approx. 18" above the water level in the pool. Pool filter (with chlorine generator) runs daily via aqualink system on timer. In the morning, the spa water level is same as pool. Its not really clear to me what's going on, as it relates to the leak. Oh.. and one of the first things we did here was have a guy come over to conduct a one on one 'pool school' to help us understand what is supposed to be happening, how to perform basic water testing, etc...

Attached is a photo of our setup.. I did the labeling in the attached photo based on testing with did with the pool school person.

Generally we leave the setup at 50% skimmer input / 50% pool drain input with output to the pop-up jet valve system. The pop up valve system has a five outlet device that feeds 20 or so popup valves. They turn on a few at a time, and are energized for a minute or so at each zone. One of the five zones feeds the spa. Obviously when that zone is in operation, there is a water fall from the spa back to the pool.

When things are shut off for the night, the leak back from spa to pool takes a pretty long time. I'm guessing it leaks back about 3" or so per hour.

This pool has not been in the best of repair. I'm fixing things as I go. We just replaced the chlorine generator cell as well as the PCB circuit board for the chlorine generator. (In previous life I was geeky engineer troubleshooting complex automotive systems for OEM)

The other thing I notice is leaks around the cartridge filter container. It generally leaks a little bit at start up. I also notice lots of air bubbles in the pool at startup. I've checked the above ground check valves, and at first glance they seem okay. Any ideas or recommendations?

Does anybody know how the five zone pop up system stops spa drain back to the pool? (That not really clear to me.. Is there a check valve somewhere in the system for those? I do know some of the popups are missing their small square plastic output nozzles, do those act as a seal when the system is de-energized? The popups are labeled 'Caretaker 99'.)

Many thanks in advance for all ideas here. Anybody been here before, got recommendations on where to look for faults?
thanks,
LB,
Las Vegas NV

Attachments

• Pool Overview w_text.jpg
    Pool Overview w_text.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 119
Is that the control valve at the downstream side of the chlorine generator shown in the photo? I can certainly dis-assemble and review...

What I don't understand is... what precludes drain back with this pop-up design. On this pool, the spa has 1/5th of the outlets in that circuit. Is this a normal setup? Is there a check valve on that circuit? (I'm assuming there is a special place in Hades reserved for pool installation folks who bury check valves, no?)

thanks.. Zip.

Yes, that would be the valve.

Hopefully they are no check valves buried. But, yes, if they buried them there is a special place for them.

In relation to the plumbing in the photo, where is the spa water level?

Dunno about the water level relative to the pump equipment. Its quite a long distance from the pump to the pool area. Way too far for a string level, 90 feet away and around the corner of the building from the spa. I'll measure it again, but I'm nearly positive the level in the spa is EXACTLY the same as the level in the pool before the pump starts up in the morning.

er.... Is there supposed to be a check valve in the five zone pop up system? Is this a normal installation? (i.e. is the five zone valve system self sealing? ie. are the popups supposed to be self sealing?.... Anybody know?)

thx, again.

It's a check valve or a 3 way valve that's not sealing right.

It could be suction side or return side. Once the pump is off, the water doesn't care which way it travels through a pipe, and it will seek its own level.

Seems to me that with everything running right and water over the spillway, if you shut the pump off it ought to be easy to figure out. Let things settle down for a few minutes, then try a few drops of food coloring by the returns, then the floor jets, then the drain in the spa. Whichever way the water is flowing, it will take the blob of colored water with it. Then at least you'll know which piping is involved and can then only worry about the valves in that section.

My spa, always goes level with the pool water after the pump is turned off, and the spa water will settle to the level of the pull water.

If i'm just running the spa, and have the valves positioned to the spa only, the water in the spa will not lower. "if this is what your referring to, you may just have a leaky valve."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.