How do I backwash my filter? Do I add DE afterwards?

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hello - I can't figure out how to backwash my filter. It has a valve with a large handle that can be pressed and turned. There appears to be a pipe going into the ground for the "waste" option. There is a sight glass. I can't find a backwash hose or a waste valve - not sure what that is. Is this what I do?

1. turn off filter
2. turn valve to "backwash"
3. run for a minute
4. turn off filter
5. turn valve to "rinse"
6. turn off filter
7.turn valve to "filter"
8. Do I add DE?

I have a

1.5HP Hayward Super Pump
Hayward 4820 DE Filter,

Maybe there is a post or a link to website that shows me how to backwash?

Thanks,
David

I think this is the manual for your filter: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual362.pdf

If there's a pipe marked waste, it probably got plumbed into the sewer somewhere. If there's an open pipe sticking out somewhere in all the valving, you'll need a backwash hose to direct the waste water somewhere.

Yes, you'll need to recoat the grids with fresh DE.

There are a number of videos on youtube showing backwashing.

Drockfresh said:
Thanks Richard - I did try the manual - it is a little confusing. I can't find the backwash outlet on the valve - I'll keep digging.

How do I know how much DE to add?
There's going to be 5 ports on the valve. 2 go to the filter itself. One comes from the pump. One goes back to the pool, maybe through the heater first. The fifth is the backwash outlet. If it disappears into the ground and is labelled waste, that's almost certainly it.

Page one of the manual gives capacity. It says 6 lbs, however that is for an initial charge. It never rinses completely. Conventional wisdom says 80%. So 4.8 lbs of DE needs to be added.

Thanks again - the fact that I don't have to attache a backwash hose - that the pipe is plumbed was throwing me off.

So - the filter was backwashed and no DE added - and then filter was run for a few weeks - is this a serious problem -
or can we just add DE and go on our way? :(

Would you backwash first and then add the DE or just add the DE to the skimmer?

Thanks!

David

Drockfresh said:
Thanks again - the fact that I don't have to attache a backwash hose - that the pipe is plumbed was throwing me off.

So - the filter was backwashed and no DE added - and then filter was run for a few weeks - is this a serious problem -
or can we just add DE and go on our way? :(

Would you backwash first and then add the DE or just add the DE to the skimmer?

Thanks!

David
You better backwash first. No telling what's stuck to the grids now. Ideally you'd tear the filter apart and manually clean the grids 100%, then you'll know for sure what the clean pressure is. However, not everyone has mechanical aptitude.

Running the filter without DE can clog it up pretty good if you water was dirty and backwashing may not help.

I would recommend at this point breaking the filter down and spraying down the grids very well to get them clean, then reinstall, and coat with DE.

Note for backwashing it is good to do the backwash/rinse cycle a few times until the water is pretty clear on backwash. After a backwash, I usually only add about 80% of the normal DE amount as a lot is left in the filter after the backwash. Also some people do the recharge of DE while on Rinse so no DE makes it to the pool, but I have never had that problem.

Finally, it is a good idea once a year to fully break the filter down and clean everything to start fresh. Some recommend a soak in a soap solution followed by a soak in an acid solution to remove any build up on the grids.

It all depends on how long the filter has been running without being taken apart and fully cleaned. When I was running DE, now I use Fiber Clear, I would take the entire filter apart 2 times a year. I would first backwash the filter and then take it apart. My filter has a 6 pound capacity and I would add 4 pounds after backwashing. When I took the filter apart after backwashing I was amazed at how much DE was still remaining. I would backwash for 2 minutes, run in filter mode for a minute, backwash for 2 minutes, run in filter mode for a minute, and then backwash for another minute.

Personally I would take the filter apart to inspect the condition of it and you would know for sure that you have the correct amount of DE in the filter.

Jblizzle just posted before me with similar suggestions but I will add my $.02 anyways.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drockfresh said:
Oh man - and I just had the filter professionally cleaned last month.
If the water has been clear and looks clean - does this make the case for not having to take apart and clean the filter again?

Thanks,
David
How could it have been professionally cleaned and not recharged with DE? That doesn't sound professional!

Why do you want to backwash if it's only been a month, anyway? Were you clearing a swamp?

If I was you, I'd backwash it one more time, take it apart and clean it with a hose, and then recharge with the proper amount of DE. Note the pressure and you will have a clean baseline to start from.

Richard320 said:
Drockfresh said:
Oh man - and I just had the filter professionally cleaned last month.
If the water has been clear and looks clean - does this make the case for not having to take apart and clean the filter again?

Thanks,
David
How could it have been professionally cleaned and not recharged with DE? That doesn't sound professional!

Why do you want to backwash if it's only been a month, anyway? Were you clearing a swamp?

Yes, the pool company did add DE. The water has been very clean. When I figured out the chemicals and the vacuuming, I stopped paying them for the weekly clean because I could do it myself (and the cost was $$$$ and there were few other things about them) . I decided to have them clean the filter because I didn't want to do that myself. I think they were backwashing each week - so when I took over - I backwashed once (without checking the pressure) - but did not add DE - ROOKIE MISTAKE - :oops: then I decided to post about it here to see what to do - the question is - how do I get everything under control?

The pool has been clean and the numbers stable - however there have been some dust-like particles floating on the surface.

I just backwashed correctly and added the DE. What can I do to make sure 100% everything is under control?

Hope things aren't messed up too bad :cry:

Thanks,

David

ping said:
If I was you, I'd backwash it one more time, take it apart and clean it with a hose, and then recharge with the proper amount of DE. Note the pressure and you will have a clean baseline to start from.

Arghhh- Looks like I'll have to clear my afternoon schedule :rant:

Actually, I will probably just hire the pool company to clean the filter again on Monday.

What a mess :hammer:

Thanks for the heads up :thequeen:

Since you just added the DE, run it as is and keep an eye on how your water looks. Dust floating on the surface wouldn't bother me too much right now, but if you notice that your water isn't what it used to be then I'd go ahead and take the filter apart and clean it. The next time that you need to backwash, do take apart the filter so you know that you are starting from a nice clean filter.

ping said:
Since you just added the DE, run it as is and keep an eye on how your water looks. Dust floating on the surface wouldn't bother me too much right now, but if you notice that your water isn't what it used to be then I'd go ahead and take the filter apart and clean it. The next time that you need to backwash, do take apart the filter so you know that you are starting from a nice clean filter.

Whew - thank you - I like this advice. The pool looks clean so I wait until next time to get the take apart and clean the filter.

ping said:

OK, so I finally had time to get the filter cleaned and recharged with DE.

A picture of the gauge is below - what will be the next time I backwash?

Attachments

• FIlter.JPG
    FIlter.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 350

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.