Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with Liquidator installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with Liquidator installation

I installed the liquidator today, but I do not have enought flow to raise the ball from zero. I have the liquidator about 5ft from the pump & filter. There is flow going thru the tube but has very little pressure. I don't have any leaks at my fittings.
    I don't know what else to check. I checked to make sure the arrows are pointing away from the liquidator on the "out" side going to the pump & the check valve on the "in" side is pointing to the liquidator.

Thanx,
    Gdog
    28' round 23k gallon AGP Vinyl Liner
    1.5 hp pump,Sand Filter,Polaris 65 8 gallon Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

How far is your pump from the skimmer? If it is a distance of about 4'-5', you have the same problem Miranda and I did. Partially close the valve from the skimmer. It will create more resistance because there is not enough with the pump that close. This should create a flow through the liquidator. I was able to get mine up to about 3.5.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

3. Back To Top    #3
    My pump sits directly underneat the skimmer. It's about 2-3ft at the most. I don't think I have a valve between the skimmer & the pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Gardog,

Just a quick check to make sure your flow indicator isn't hooked up backwards....it's got an arrow just like the check valves.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    I checked the flow indicator & the arrow is pointing to the pump, the check valve arrow is pointing to the pump & the flow control valve does not have an arrow. The arrow is pointing to the liquidator on the filter side.

Thanx,
    Gdog

6. Back To Top    #6

Gardog,

You only have a few options to increase the flow rate and you do obviously need to increase it:

A. Restrict the flow on the skimmer. The cleanest way to do this is to cut the skimmer line in half and install a ball valve. Not a bad idea to have anyways on an aboveground pool as it makes maintenance much easier. I would install one on the return line as well at the same time. If you are uncomfortable cutting the line then perhaps you could rig a cap to install in the bottom of the skimmer basket to restrict the flow.

B. Raise the Liquidator so that the return and supply line holes are above the level of your pool water.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

7. Back To Top    #7

The purpose of raising the Liquidator would be to remove the check valves. If you remove them you will get a much better flow rate. But you can't do it if the liquidator holes are below water level.
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

8. Back To Top    #8
    I can put the liquidator on the deck above the pool & cover it so the chlorine doesn't dissapate.
    As far as putting in ball valves, Do I just need to cut the hose coming from the skimmer to the filter on the pump & put on in there & do the same from the filter going to the pool?

Thanx
    Gdog

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. What kind of tubing do you have coming to and from the pump to the pool? Is it the corrugated flex tube or is in either hard or flexible schedule 40?
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

10. Back To Top    #10
    I'm using clear Tiger Flex. It's solid with a white spiral

11. Back To Top    #11

I am not too sure about how to get a ball valve attached to Tigerflex. I think I saw a link somewhere on the forum where someone address this.
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you have this:

http://kuriyama.thomasnet.com/item/flex ... 36|3001149

I just did a quick Google, there are plenty of poly valves which will work. Best bet is to look around and visit your local stores to see what will fit. Seems Tigerflex is a common tubing used for spa/pool. I am sure some stores will have some that you can test fit a ball/gate valve.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

13. Back To Top    #13

If that is what it is, you can use standard schedule 40 PVC fitting and HD cement on it.
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

14. Back To Top    #14

I really don't mean to hijack this thread but I have to ask about this.

I have seen several threads now that suggest restricting the flow from the skimmer in order to improve the flow through the liquidator. IMHO I think this is a bad idea.

People go to a lot of trouble to make their pipes flow as well and efficiently as possible. This makes their pumps work more efficiently and saves them energy. It seems to me that restricting the flow from the skimmer would be bad for the pump. It would make it work harder and therefore use more electricity and make the pump not last as long.

I would rather pour the chlorine in every day than restrict the flow from the skimmer for the sake of the Liquidator.

I still haven't hooked up my Liquidator. When I do, if I am having problems with the flow I will definitely do what I can to remove the check valves by raising it above the water level. Restricting the flow from the skimmer won't be an option for me. It just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Am I off base here? I am open to suggestion if I am, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

15. Back To Top    #15

Update on installation of Liquidator

I moved the liquidator up on the deck above the water line & removed the check valve that goes to the pump. I still did not have enough flow pressure to move the ball on the indicator, so I removed the flow control valve & now the ball is up to 3.5.
    I check the flow control for blockage & everything is clear, so I guess I will leave it out or try a different valve.

Thanx,
    Gdog

16. Back To Top    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mnormington
    I have seen several threads now that suggest restricting the flow from the skimmer in order to improve the flow through the liquidator. IMHO I think this is a bad idea.
    There are times when it is a good idea and times when it is a bad idea to restrict flow on the suction side. In most pools it is a bad idea to add any suction side restrictions. However, there are situations where the total dynamic head (TDH) is lower than the pump was designed for. For example a 1 HP WhisperFlo simply doesn't run well below 25 or 30 feet of head.

When the pump is below water level and very close to the pool the suction side head can actually be negative, which raises the possibility that the total head might be low enough that some suction side restriction might be a good idea. However, it is difficult to know if this is really a case where that would be true without a great deal more information about the plumbing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17
    I went back & put the flow control valve back on the liquidator & what do you know, it works fine. I can turn it to 3 on the valve & get full flow thru the indicator or turn it down to whatever I need.

What is the ideal setting on the indicator? I know I will need to check it regularly but what would be a good starting point.
    I have it set to about 2 right now.

Thanx,
    Gdog

18. Back To Top    #18
    As with a SWG, the ideal setting depends on your particular pool. You want to set it somewhere around the middle and give it a day or two and see what your chlorine level ends up at and then adjust it up or down from there as needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School