Wheres the main drain valve?

marty

Jul 10, 2012
CA
At 30sec, the 2 red valves, i turned off the first one that is visible at 30 sec(after i shot video) and that just stoped flow at one of the skimmers... So one pipe goes to each skimmer???, where the heck is the main drain? Im trying to check for air leaks because of cloudy pool. So if i leave 100% main drain for a week and if it clears then i'll know, viceversa.
Just repacled sand with a little de.
Also i have 4 returns 3 have ok flow, if i block the 3 with hand, the one with no flow starts to bubble up real good, what could this be?

thanks guys! :-D

[youtube:3pplk2nv]N-sLsHZns5s[/youtube:3pplk2nv]

Re: Wheres the man drain valve?

Many main drains are plumbed to a second hole in the bottom of a skimmer. What do you have under the skimmer baskets?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thank you for all your help!

Im not at pool right now, I have 2 videos on phone.
1st video shows just one hole, this is the one that is still has suction when i turnnd off that red valve at30 sec in previous video.
The other skimmer, im not sure of, but your saying if it has 2 holes then that is the main drain?
Any idea what that plastic dealie is, can i chuck it? it was in hole.

2nd video-At around 36 seconds on second video, it shows smaller non-pvc pipes going to booster, is that from main drain maybe?

[youtube:1raubnlx]QGEYgsVA-lQ[/youtube:1raubnlx]
[youtube:1raubnlx]bRuFpdrldOc[/youtube:1raubnlx]

That plastic piece might be a way to divert suction from the main drain actually ... but I am not familiar with that setup.
Can you tell if the hole goes down to a 90 or a T?

Honestly your video is hard to follow since you are tool close to everything. Wider pictures might help more. Although I doubt that the main drain would be a smaller pipe.

jblizzle said:
That plastic piece might be a way to divert suction from the main drain actually ... but I am not familiar with that setup.[/qoute]
Can you tell if the hole goes down to a 90 or a T?

Kinda like thoses saftey water level diverters in skimmer, that has the sliding door looks like space ship? Interesting...
To tell if a 90 or tee, just stick a wire in there and see? I cant make it out by looking down there.

So i turned one of those red valves and left system on, this morning the pump was dry! what would that mean? that pipe is the culprit? or just a coincidence, that my original leak finally was too much? its a 2hp pump.

I have 4 holes in pool, called ''returns'' right? ... are all four suppose to be ''returning'' at once with same pressure? 3 have good flow but 1 has none, when i block the 3 then flow comes out... is this like a back up return or something?

Obviously turning a valve you are unsure of and then leaving it all night, may not be a good idea ;) hope it did not damage the pump.

There could be a blockage in the return or if they were not plumbed in a loop, the furthest return may have lower flow.

LOL yea that was bad, im just trying to clear water up.
Pumps seems ok, sounds the same.
Ughggg! Wish i had a diagram of plumbing,
Or even generic diagrams to study, im trying to
Learn as much as i can, why i love this place.

Should you feel suction on the main drain when standing in the pool? I have never felt it, I always thought just the skimmers were sucking.

It is not unusual to not feel water suction through the floor drain. If you diverted all suction to the floor you might be able to feel it ... Although dual floor drains attempt to prevent noticeable suction from the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.