50000 gal in Houston- what are reasonable heating options?

reefpool

Apr 12, 2020
Houston, TX
TLDR: Need to know options for large shaded pool to get us above 80 degrees from March to October. We have gas run to the area as some prior owner had a gas heater, but sadly no heater remains. However I want to minimize our total cost (investment and operation) and not sure if other options are preferred and also if we go gas what size brand we can get away with and if any are substantially more/less efficient.

Longer version:
So first, our large pool with 20x 50 foot surface is largely shaded due to large trees and it is still very cold, perhaps 75 degrees and we are well into May! I’m from south Florida and I cannot swim in water below 80, I’m allergic. I’m more comfortable at 82! My skinny child is also getting cold after an hour, and we don’t have a jacuzzi so he’s in the shower quickly. We don’t have lots of sun to warm between dips.

Heater used to exist before we bought and there is a gas line. I find there is also heat pump as an option but not sure if that’s a real improvement. Even for gas there are lots of size and brand options and I’m not sure the reading is helping. We just bought the house and prefer economical options where possible.

Thanks for guidance!

To keep a pool warm you need to cover it. So remember that.
Your choice is gas heater or electric heat pump.

I had considered an automatic cover but not sure I want to chop plants to install tracks on the side bordering out neighbor. I don’t like the idea of systems kids can get under, and not a fan of the spring systems as it seems like a massive chore to cover and uncover- likely to demotivate on use. Any good options I’m missing that are safe with kids?

Can you speak to differences between heater brands and sizes for our needs?

Thank you!

Raypak are popular for gas heaters. Not sure about heat pumps. Heat pumps are a lot more expensive up front.

If you do not cover the pool, all heat is lost each night.

If you do not cover the pool, all heat is lost each night.
We were experiencing this exact thing last year. Pool would get up to 82-84 and drop overnight 10 degrees. Purchased a solar cover and while a bit tedious to take off and put back on (ours is a bit more challenging being a free form pool), it has kept the pool temp stable. Yesterday pool temp was 86 which is perfect. Takes about 10 minutes or so for two people to remove and put the cover back on when done. It really isn't that bad.

It is still very cool in Houston in March. If that is a must, you might have no choice but to go gas. But if you have flexibility in that, I think a heat pump would be far preferable for you overall. A heat pump will keep your pool mid 80s easily from April to October.

What pump could work well for us? What would it cost to run a heat pump April to October without a cover? I could allow a few low T days but so far the family swims nearly daily.

On the cover, As much as I initially wanted an automatic covet I just don’t see any cover that appears a great option for our pool. If I could go back and design it in I would. Because of the pool design not being an exact square it will just be a bear to install given our layout and an eyesore.

thanks everyone!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.