Pump timer

Let me start by saying that I do not know what kind of timer I have at the moment. I think it's just a generic outdoor timer.

I'm changing from a single speed 1 HP to a dual speed 1 HP. Is it likely that my current timer will work with the new pump (I mean, are they generally compatible?)? What do I need to know to find out if they are compatible?

I tried calling some pool stores.. useless. If it wasn't for TFP, I would've filled the pool in with dirt and started a vegetable garden.

Thanks!
Sara

Your timer will work in a sense.

It will still run your pump on either hi or low but won't automatically switch between them. You'll have to manually switch speeds.

You'll need an external speed selector switch if the motor didn't come with one already.

If you go with the 1HP Superflo 2-speed, mine came with a switch installed on the back of the motor.

At this point I leave it on low. You could switch it to high for vacuuming or to run a cleaner if needed. Eventually I will remove the switch and put a controller on it to run on high for solar heating.

Also realize that any of the automation systems (with or without a SWG) have the ability to control the 2-speed motors ... may not be something you actually need though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They may not prime on low. But once it is primed, it should have no problem starting back up on low (assuming you have to leaks that allow the pump to loose prime when it is off).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.