50 Year Old Pool Reno

Dutiful Daughter

Gold Supporter
May 12, 2019
Oregon
Hi -- I'm back! I have an immediate question about draining off cover. There is a ton of rain buildup on the cover -- the pool guy quoted $1000 to get the water off the cover. My mother purchased a sump pump (see photo) -- but whatever she is doing, the pump is draining the pool water, not the water on top of the cover. We are having some of the pool construction folk over next week and we have a 4th of July event this thursday -- so really wanted to drain off the water.

Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
From what I can see, and the circumstances you describe, that is a mesh cover. You cannot drain water off of a mesh cover because there is only one body of water which freely passes through the cover. The cover is sagging into the water. Perhaps the height of the water under the cover has now increased so it is in contact (and through/above) the cover. It was probably lower before and not contacting it. The only thing to do may be to drain the water down (which she is effectively doing), remove the cover and reinstall. The water will build back up and go back through the cover though.

Alternatively, the cover could be pulled on top of itself and to one end. Doing this very slowly will cause the water to drain through it back "into" the pool. You'd have to go super slow pulling it. I'm not even sure if it would be possible without few burly folks.

I may be off in my view of the situation so we'll see what other come back with also.

setsailsoon

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Stuart/FL
As @bmoreswim and @PoolGate suggests, it should be easy. If you need a little help get some teenagers to help. Make sure they hold one end off the pool while you roll it up from the other so debris getting into the pool is minimized. $5 to each kid should be plenty for 10 minute's work, even for Millennials! Get a set of test results posted if you need any advice on how to clean up the mess quickly.

Good luck!

Chris

Reactions: PoolGate

Nectarologist

Apr 3, 2015
New York
My .02 on the standing water: Get some mosquito dunks from Lowes/Home Depot etc and put 2 or 3 on the cover/in pool. That standing water becomes a breeding ground for mosquitos once it sits for a week or so.

My feelings on electrical in general near a pool: I'd have a gfci outlet more than 10' from the pool but less than 20'. The reason is people want to use it for blenders raidos etc. 10' away eliminates the possibility of something falling in the pool. Closer than 20' curbs the urge to get an extension cord for radios and the like (the extension cord makes your electrical potentially in the pool). I'd never rely on gfci to save my life (even though it might, they can and do fail).

Last edited:

Dutiful Daughter

Gold Supporter
May 12, 2019
Oregon
Thanks all -- We were able to get the pool cover off. Now -- question to the group, it looks like a swamp. Should I post a new thread on how to make it blue again as we sit out the months until the project begins in March?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Thanks all -- We were able to get the pool cover off. Now -- question to the group, it looks like a swamp. Should I post a new thread on how to make it blue again as we sit out the months until the project begins in March?
Just keep the discussion going here.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Marty do you think this might be one of those times it is best to drain and refill? They are in Oregon so it is quite a bit cooler so that might be helpful AND they are planning on redoing the plaster in March so............

DD see if you can find out how much it would cost to refill. Make sure to ask if they will waive the sewer fees and such since you are doing a pool.

Kim:kim:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
It could be a great time to drain. What is the water table? Where in Oregon - Astoria or the Dalles?