Salt Content too Highand SWG not working

Aug 10, 2012
We have had our pool for 4 years and have had very minimal problems with it up until this year. Our readout on the SWG is reading 700 but when we manually take a reading of the pool we get around 5600 or higher. We have drained the pool about 1/3 of way two times within the past week but the reading still stays the same on the SWG and manual reading. We have had to revert to chlorine tablets in the skimmer and shocking the pool at least every 2 weeks. If we don't the skimmer smells like lake water and fish. You can taste the salt in the pool so I am at a loss. We do have some small black spot( I would assume algae on the bottom of the liner, mainly in the deep end). We replaced the circuit board last year but we are at a loss of what to do next. Thanks

You may still need to drain some more water. What is the recommended salt level for your SWG? Has the cell been cleaned? If the SWG was installed with the pool the cell may be at the end of its life. Salt cells average about 5 years, less with heavy use. Did you add salt at any time? Also if you could post a complete set of test results including CYA that may help us with troubleshooting your problem.

Recommended level on SWG should be about 3200-3600. Cell has been cleaned with acid this year. SWG was installed at the same time pool was built 4 years ago. No salt has been added this year because of this problem. I will post results tests as soon as possible. Thanks

How can we tell if it is the cell that is the problem. Don't want to spend the money for a new cell if the current one is still fine. I will test the pool this evening and get some results to post.

readings from pool are as follows: total hardness 400, free chlorine 1/2, ph is 8.4, total alkalinity 80, and CYA is 0. Swam this evening and pool smelled like lake and fish. Please let me know where I need to start addressing the problem. manual salt test shows levels at 7.8 or 6420. Salt water reading on SWG shows 600.

If you have ran it for 4 years with no CYA, then the cell is most likely dead. I say this because keeping the FC up with no CYA would require it to be ran at a vary high output percentage. You should chlorinate manually with bleach or another liquid immediately until you get the SWG figured out. As you pointed out, it is smelling like a lake, and with no FC it will look like one soon.

All levels and SWG have ran perfectly up until this year. We have been shocking the pool pretty frequently and using chlorine tabs in the skimmer until we could get this all under control. I assume this is ok to do until we figure out the cell issue. Any other suggestions would be great. What kind of bleach do we use and how much? Our pool is rectangle 18x36. Thanks Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.