where is my chlorine?

riseandrun

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2012
Greetings,
I have dumped over a gallon of sodium hypo in my pool in the last day. I'm still reading 0 chlorine using my new TF-100 kit as of 7am. (Very fast shipping, great kit) I've even used my other kit and diluted the sample by 1/3 with nothing. I put in 90 oz. just yesterday. My water looks clear. Here's my attempted readings:
FC 0
CC how do I measure with 0 FC?
CYA 0 Indoor pool, and that's why the hypo
TA 250
CH 300 range? very hard, my well water is bad.
Is this possible and do I just keep adding 32oz every 4 hours? Also, can anyone tell me if I put in MA and my sodium hypo at the same time am I canceling anything out? How long after adding do I wait to swim? Lots of questions, appreciate the help.
Thanks
KW

Hmmmm.....signature says chlorinator with pucks, test results show 0 CYA. That seems odd.

Anyway, 90 oz of 6% should get FC to 3.6 in your pool. Since you have an indoor pool, you can rule out UV degradation, so that's a lot of loss, which leaves you facing an impending algae bloom. You need to read up on the shock process.

Don't add acid and bleach together. Space them 30 minutes apart at least.

Acid plus bleach can react! Solid chlorines and acid can catch fire or even create an explosion. Unlikely in pool but as Richard said you need to space them out a bit.

Need to update my signature. I'm getting rid of the pucks because my cya was so high I drained my pool. To fix that problem I'm sparingly using my chlorinator. Otherwise I'm using up 68 gallons of sodium hypo that my predecessor bought. Think it's 12.6%
Thanks for the MA info. I'm battling PH too. My battle plan is to add 32oz nightly of MA until I get the TA down to 120 since I have read high TA buffers my PH.
My biggest problem is I need to avoid closing this pool if at all possible. I'm inspected by the state of Il. and if my FC is too high I have to close the pool. Then residents start complaining. The pool can sit empty all day and as soon as I shock it someone wants to swim. Is there a guideline as to how long after shocking people can swim? Looks like I'm coming in late tonight :(

riseandrun said:
Need to update my signature. I'm getting rid of the pucks because my cya was so high I drained my pool. To fix that problem I'm sparingly using my chlorinator. Otherwise I'm using up 68 gallons of sodium hypo that my predecessor bought. Think it's 12.6%
Thanks for the MA info. I'm battling PH too. My battle plan is to add 32oz nightly of MA until I get the TA down to 120 since I have read high TA buffers my PH.
My biggest problem is I need to avoid closing this pool if at all possible. I'm inspected by the state of Il. and if my FC is too high I have to close the pool. Then residents start complaining. The pool can sit empty all day and as soon as I shock it someone wants to swim. Is there a guideline as to how long after shocking people can swim? Looks like I'm coming in late tonight :(

What are your FC limits?

You would likely still benefit from having a CYA of 20-30ppm. Not to protect the FC, but to buffer it and lower the active chlorine level. Then the FC will not be as harsh on skin and clothing.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

My upper limit is 5ppm. I just tested the chlorine again at 9:30am and I exaggerating when I say .5 That is to say I saw some pink when I added the reageant, but only looks like .5 I added another 40 oz. of LC and will check again around 1pm. My complete water exchange is 4 hours, it should be mixed by then correct?
Thanks for the replies.

riseandrun said:
My upper limit is 5ppm. I just tested the chlorine again at 9:30am and I exaggerating when I say .5 That is to say I saw some pink when I added the reageant, but only looks like .5 I added another 40 oz. of LC and will check again around 1pm. My complete water exchange is 4 hours, it should be mixed by then correct?
Thanks for the replies.

How old is the liquid chlorine. The higher concentration stuff loses strength faster than lower concentrations.

Looks like a CYA of 20 would work well with a max FC of 5. It would be appropriate to have as low as FC=2 and you could dose up to 5 and let it drift down. I forget - do you have a liquid pump or other means to meter out liquid over time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The liquid chlorine could be a problem. It is sealed, but it could be a few years old based on what I've seen in the rest of this place. I really doubt that they rotated stock.
I don't have a dispenser. I will diligently add 11 oz either first thing in the morning or at 6pm.

UWV you hit the nail on the head. I called the number on my shock to see if they would tell me expiration codes. 11213 means the majority of my shock was made around August of 2011. the 213th day of 2011. Any guesses as to if it's any good at all, or if I should double, triple, quadruple the dose......probably not.....
I'm back to the chlorinator and pucks for the time being. Thanks all!!!

riseandrun said:
The liquid chlorine could be a problem. It is sealed, but it could be a few years old based on what I've seen in the rest of this place. I really doubt that they rotated stock.
I don't have a dispenser. I will diligently add 11 oz either first thing in the morning or at 6pm.

What is the temp of the storage? Is it climate controlled? Is it out of the sun in opaque storage?

Here's a chart showing the decay rates of 12.5% based on storage temps...

As it decays to lower % it will not decay as fast. At worst you should be able to use this stuff once you have a feel for what the residual percentage is. If you dose and then measure and you get a FC level you'll be able to back into how effective it is acting. If for example you add a gallon and it acts like you added a quart - treat it like it was 1/4 strength for the next dose and see what happens.

Attachments

• decay_rates_by_temp.jpg
    decay_rates_by_temp.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 149
To answer your question about how to measure CC's do the following if you have the FAS/DPD test. First test the FC level and after the water goes from pink to clear you add 5 drops of reagent R-0003 and if the sample turns pink you have some CC's. Then continue adding drops of R-0871 until the water turns clear, each drop of R-0871 counts the same as the FC portion of the test. If you don't have any FC at the start of the test then add the R-0003 and see if the sample turns pink.

When adding the MA to lower the pH make sure your pH doesn't fall below 7. Did not see if you are following TFP's way to lower TA.

Thanks for all the responses! My "storage" room that the shock was in is not climate controlled. It's actually pretty warm. I do have a room not too far away that has A/C that would have been perfect. I'm only getting a few months supply next time and storing it there. UWV thanks for that chart. Based on the projectory I don't think there's any SH left!?!? 80 deg. or more and 350 days.

Get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with chlorine free water. Add 1 tsp of your current chlorinating liquid and stir well. Wait 30 minutes and test. If it has at least 6% strength left it should raise FC to 10ppm.

How's this for a test. I took the chlorine only test tube from my TF-100 kit and used shock straight from the bottle and when I stuck a test strip in straight shock it read .5. Just to get rid of it I'm going to dump a gallon a day into the deep end. What a waste.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/adm ... 3200R.html

If I'm reading this correct.....your legal limit is only FC of 4.
1) Where chlorine is used as a disinfectant, the chlorine residual shall be maintained between 1.0 and 4.0 p.p.m. as free chlorine residual. A free chlorine residual of at least 2.0 p.p.m. shall be maintained when the pool water temperature exceeds 85° F.

Is this an indoor or outdoor pool?? Have you talked to management about a SWG??

JB, you are correct my test probably was bleached out. I'm in the middle of making your mixture and will test shortly.
Leebo, I don't know if your link was to an older version, or maybe I have old pool charts, but it says right on my paperwork between .5 and 5ppm. or I have to close the pool.
I've gotten a new batch of shock and it's making a difference with my levels, but it seems like I need to add more often, or higher amounts because it doesn't last in my pool very long. I did notice from the link that if my temp is above 85 degrees my minimum should be at least 2 and this morning I was .75.
thanks for the help. I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on this pool, but I'm spending more than a few minutes each day on it. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.