Aug 6, 2012
Sacramento
I have read about borates and it sounds like a great idea. I have a salt pool (fiberglass) and chlorine spa (fiberglass) that are not connected, but share the same filtration system (jandy 4 cartridge ). Will it still work with borates, since I know I will end up with some in the spa as well

vikingfiberglass said:
I have read about borates and it sounds like a great idea. I have a salt pool (fiberglass) and chlorine spa (fiberglass) that are not connected, but share the same filtration system (jandy 4 cartridge ). Will it still work with borates, since I know I will end up with some in the spa as well

I don't understand how they can "not be connected" but "share the same filtration system". I assume they must mingle water in the filter itself. I can't fathom how you'd exclude the water from mixing over time.

I think you are right. Any water in the filter when the valves are changed would be from the other body of water. Maybe it is not enough to matter?

Interesting setup to say the least.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I think it should be pointed out that a "salt" pool is a chlorine pool. I assume the distinction made in the original post is that the SWGC is not in line with the plumbing for the spa and as such the spa requires chlorine to be added separately but I'm guessing. Maybe the original poster can clarify with pictures and more details...

The original question seems to be - is it OK to have borates in both spa and pool - and I think the answer from here would be YES. The question is going to be how to regulate it so that the borates ppm is in the optimum range if they share water occasionally. I'm going to assume that one way is to setup both water systems with the desired 30-50ppm and then not worry anymore since any mixing would not really change much.

Anyone with more chops on this topic think I'm nuts? I'm just blue skying here...

Once you decide to add Borate, do you have to do much to maintain them? (ie: add more Borax each day/week)? In 2 months all I've had to is add a little bleach, and a little MA each day, backwash about 3 times, and shock once. Not much trouble... just don't want to add more work/cost if I don't need to.

tcat said:
Once you decide to add Borate, do you have to do much to maintain them? (ie: add more Borax each day/week)? In 2 months all I've had to is add a little bleach, and a little MA each day, backwash about 3 times, and shock once. Not much trouble... just don't want to add more work/cost if I don't need to.
Once Borates are in the pool the only way to lower it is drain(or splashout)/refill. I adjust up to 50 ppm at the beginning of the season and don't look at it until the next season (unless a lot of water is lost).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.