CYA nonexistent

Jul 30, 2012
Im a complete novice with pools and testing. See below for measurements and equipment... I love this website it's the best thing ever!

Just filled the pool last week and added .7 CYA as recommended by manufacturer.

Here are my numbers with the k-2006 test kit:
FC 6
PH 7.5
TA 60
CH 80
Salt 3680 - which is 600 above manufacturer recommend (was thinking of reducing the run time on the swg)

When I prepare the cya test it's not cloudy AT ALL! When I put it in tube I can see the black dot even when it's full! What do I do here?

It very easily could be that you've only got around 20ppm CYA. Often this will read around zero in the test...even under good lighting. For now, assume your CYA is at about 20. Adding .7lbs or 12oz (even if you got the weight perfect, which is hard to do) would only raise you up to about 30. If you've added any fresh water (via tap water or rain water) then your CYA level has been lowered.

Try this next time. Go to Wal-Mart or the pool store and buy one bag of "pool shock" that contains Trichlor. Add that to the pool in steps instead of the stablizier. It will raise your CYA up about 24...and give your FC a boost up to 40 as well. Do NOT add it all at once!!! Use this same bag over several days for your pool.

When you say next time.... Do you mean I should go buy the shock pool now? Are all bags the same size? And why would I want to increase my FC? Isn't it supposed to be between 3-5? Where's the 40 come in?

If your CYA is only 20ish I'd suggest raising it. If I were in your shoes I'd use "pool shock" to raise the cya as it will also provide FC.

Test your FC level daily and add enough trichlor to raise it to 5ppm.

If you were to add 16oz of trichlor to your pool your FC will be raised by 40ish.

So I finally bought the shock. But I didn't get it at Walmart (none close to me)- went to local pool store instead and bought 2lbs container of shock with trichlor. Using the pool calculator it says to use only 2ozs. What do you suggest I do now? That's only about a third of cup? Do I still add it gradually? If I put the full third cup, how long should I wait before testing it again (since cya takes a while to show up)?

Thanks again for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He said, calculate how much CYA the "shock" added and use that as your CYA number.

Add more powder when you need more FC.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
He said, calculate how much CYA the "shock" added and use that as your CYA number.

Add more powder when you need more FC.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)
I think there's some confusion here. The OP has an SWG and a 2800 gallon pool. It's gonna take a month to use up 2 lb of TriChlor at a rate of 2.5 ppm daily dose of FC to get to the 70-80 range of CYA. Longer if the SWG output is added to the equation. Maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

There's a couple of ways we can go here. At .7 lbs of stabilizer already added, the OP can assume the CYA is near 30. He can start the SWG now and augment any Chlorine deficiency with the TriChlor.

Or add another pound of stabilizer to get in the 70 range and dial in the SWG. The TriChlor can be saved for start up next year.

I agree, it really would be simpler to stick with adding the CYA separately and not using trichlor or dichlor which change multiple chemical levels at the same time.

Using the solid chlorine for this purpose is fine for people with a good understanding of the pools chemistry and only needing minor adjustment, but it may not be appropriate for those with less experience as it just becomes confusing or in situations where a large CYA is required, which in this case, both apply.

jblizzle said:
I agree, it really would be simpler to stick with adding the CYA separately and not using trichlor or dichlor which change multiple chemical levels at the same time.

Using the solid chlorine for this purpose is fine for people with a good understanding of the pools chemistry and only needing minor adjustment, but it may not be appropriate for those with less experience as it just becomes confusing or in situations where a large CYA is required, which in this case, both apply.

Agreed, I think adding a single chemical is much easier to understand. I think the trichlor was not really great advice. However it isnt wasted money as the original poster will find at some point it will be useful (i.e. pool startup).

When you pour CYA into the bottom of the pool (as per directions on the bottle) it seems to take longer to dissolve than if there is water constantly running over it. CYA is the one chemical you can pour into your skimmer. It gets caught on your filter and then water passes over it constantly until it is dissolved. My experience has been that it takes less than 24 hours to for it to dissolve this way.

the common recommendation on this board is to put it in a sock in front of a return. But this requires you to massage the sock periodically and it takes longer (hence the wait a week).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.