Vacuum gauge installation, any tips ?

SPP

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2008
Indonesia
Dear Seniors,

Mar S ( Mas985 ) have indicated that I am having a severe suction dynamic head in my pool plumbing.
I want to install a vacum gauge for this purpose in order to see what improvement I get for every troubleshooting method I will be doing and to track down the culprit.

Is there any tips on good installation point ? The BW 300 flowmeter I just installed has installation do and dont, I am wondering if there is any installation tips for vaccum gauge that I should know of. I am also wondering if it will be easy for me to buy a PVC pipe adaptor where I can screw in the vacuum gauge.

I am also hoping that since 1.13 * Hg is equal to the suction head loss, it will be a much more accurate tool than my flowmeter which is +-10% accurate and I got a 100GPM model.

For those who is interested to know what I am troubleshooting, this is the data :

2BHP Hayward Super Pump. 1.5" plumbing all around, which I am not happy esspecially for the suction.
At 12 psi sand filter pressure almost very clean, I am getting 49GPM flow and that means I have 70 feet of Total Dynamic Head loss. So I have about 40 feet of head loss at suction, which Mark said it is so unusual.

I tried yesterday to remove one of the two plunger type check valves, but my flowmeter hardly register any improvement.
I think it is not accurate enough to let me view minor improvement, this is why I am looking at vacuum gauge.
If I am assuming 40-47 feet is the suction head, as per Mark calculation. That means 40 divided by 1.13 and that is 35Hg...Holy Cow, as far as I know the common vacuum gauge only goes up to 30Hg.

Any advice very appreciated. Thanks

SPP

Hi Jason,

My Hayward has two drain plugs. One is in front and the other is left very near the impeller.
I will try to install somehwere there, I can machine the adaptor if needed.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.