LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2008
Austin, TX
I have a simple test kit at home (ordering TF-100 today), my basic numbers are
Chlorine-5
pH-7.2
TA-190
CYA- 30

Pool store numbers they have "Pinpoint" Computerized Water Analysis System (not sure if that's good or not)
FC-2.6
TC-2.8
CC-0.2 (because TA is high?)
pH-7.7
CYA-43
TA-158

They want me to add 3.5qts of muriatic acid to decrease pH. Does this amount sound right?

I have a 12'x28' AG Doughboy (approx 7900 gal) with a Hayward 1hp pump and sand filter. The water is wonderful
sparkling blue.

If you do lower your ph, 3.5 quarts of acid is WAY too much for adjusting a pool your size. I would put about a cup of muriatic acid in and test again. You should find that you will drop the ph to 7.4 or 7.5 with two cups or less.

JC45 said:
I have a simple test kit at home (ordering TF-100 today), my basic numbers are
Chlorine-5
pH-7.2
TA-190
CYA- 30

Pool store numbers they have "Pinpoint" Computerized Water Analysis System (not sure if that's good or not)
FC-2.6
TC-2.8
CC-0.2 (because TA is high?)

TA has NOTHING to do with this! It just means that you might need to shock soon

pH-7.7
CYA-43
TA-158

They want me to add 3.5qts of muriatic acid to decrease pH. Does this amount sound right?
I am sure that the amount of acid they want you to add is to drop the TA and NOT the pH since adding that amount should drop your TA about 50-60 ppm. This is a more "acceptable" TA (and if you are using liquid chlorine is still too high, IMHO.

I have a 12'x28' AG Doughboy (approx 7900 gal) with a Hayward 1hp pump and sand filter. The water is wonderful
sparkling blue.

The difference in the ph tests between your home test and the one at the store is very possibly caused by CO2 outgassing from the sample you took to the store, which would cause the pH to rise. (THIS is because of the high TA!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.