i have a questions about installing intex metal frame pools

Aug 8, 2012
i plan on buying a intex metal frame 16 ft x 48 in Intex Ultra Frame Set Pool Package and do i have to have the grass removed and leveled where the pool will sit and should i buy paver stones for each leg so that the legs dont sink into the ground or is this only needed to be done when you have the
Sequoia Spirit Wood Grain Above Ground Swimming Pool .

Re: i have a questions about installing intex metal frame p

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Pretty sure the answer is yes to both questions.

Leaving the grass and result in a horrible smell when it starts to decay under the pool. Also you MUST make sure the ground is level and that is difficult if there is grass. And do not build up low spots, you should always lower the dirt to the lowest spot.

Using pavers / wood also seems like a good idea to prevent the poles from settling into the ground.

my 2 question is do i hire a lawn contractor to remove the grass and level the ground plus can i use stone for the base paver stone for each leg and use gorilla pad for under the liner and can i remove most of the water and cover up the pool being that i live in the long island area.

You can use a shovel to remove the grass and level the ground ... or hire it out.

I do not know much about these Intex pools ... I would recommend looking at the many install threads (some with very detailed pictures). Either use the search at the top or browse the AGP section.

I juzt had mine done (same pool). The excavated about 6", then sand, then ground cloth and patio blocks for the legs. Glad I did it right because my pool is dead level.

I have a 16'x48 and I found what seemed a level area in my grass, put down the intex blue plastic under sheet that comes with the pool, I didn't remove the grass, I put put tile under the legs, after filling the pool one area was a little un level by an inch but still the pool went 3 full years with out a problem. It is only being replaced after this season do to the frame is rusting through near the button locking mechanisms. The tile did break on some legs also so that was a bad idea, you need solid stone but don't get the stone too close to the liner, you don't want the stone to rub against it. The rope that went around the bottom legs only lasted the first season. I will need better rope.

So you don't have to remove the grass, I would recommend stone pavers of some sort under the legs you can also use pressure treated wood.

it really depends on if you are going to keep the pool up all year and how perfect you want your pool.

For me, lessons I learned
I am going to remove the grass I'm going to rent a sod remover from home depot or a rental place and take my time and do it right in the fall.

We just bought a new 18'x48 pool to set up next summer, so I will also get some sand and a gorrilla pad for the bottom, I will make everything perfect do to I want it to look real nice and even. I plan to do some landscape around the pool also.

Important: I will caulk all the metal seems and the bottom locking buttons with bathroom caulk, this should help the frame from rusting by keeping the water out of the metal frame.

The thing is once you get your ground area nice and level, it will remain that way!
Once your intex pool needs to be replaced you just wait for sales, and switch it out. Buying an intex pool right now you will save big.

If a intex pool cost me less then $500 and last 3 years I'm happy!
I bought DE filter pump for $500 so that will be good for at least 5 to 10 years.
I would also recommend you look into a quality filter pump system. Sand or DE
since the intex pool pumps are not that powerful.

If you leave it up don't empty it. I don't have one but my friend does. It was on a concrete slab. She emptied it almost all the way and left it set up. It was good through the winter, but a spring storm took it out with high gusty winds. It picked it up since it wasn't as heavy with nearly all the water gone. It bent the legs and ripped the liner up. Now she doesn't have a pool. :cry:

poolgranny said:
If you leave it up don't empty it. I don't have one but my friend does. It was on a concrete slab. She emptied it almost all the way and left it set up. It was good through the winter, but a spring storm took it out with high gusty winds. It picked it up since it wasn't as heavy with nearly all the water gone. It bent the legs and ripped the liner up. Now she doesn't have a pool. :cry:
I only had a 12x36" prior to this year, but I always drained all but about 3 inches of water. That 3 inches of water kept the pool where I left it all winter (it will fill with snow as well if left uncovered.) In the spring, I would use a shopvac and remove the rest of the water and all debri that collected. Then we scrubbed with bleach, rinsed, and refilled. Had it for at least 3 winters like that and now my brother-in-law is using it for their younger kids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.