TA 290???

Jun 7, 2010
Hello again... Been on the BBB method for 3 years.. this year I have a problem that I've never experienced... 19000 gal pool.. this summer has been extremely HOT... and very little rain.. so every few days Ive had to add well water from our house system... the last week I kept the cover on it because water was clear and all my clorine levels were in check.. in years past I did the same with excellent results not much water evaporates and I don't use much Chlorine.. so took the cover off and what appeared to be brown algae... water crystal clear but on the bottom was what appeared to be algae... so did my test again and the CC was 0 or .5 hard to tell.. looked pretty clear... and last nights over night test showed very little if any lose in chlorine... so i did an alkality test and show 290..ph. at 7.8....I know its a bit high.. a test it don't do that just a few times a year.. I have the chlorine levels at 25ppm shocking to get ride of the algae.... and my CYA is 40... should destroy the algae ....by again after work water clear but a film of what appears to be algae on the bottom.. very visible when scrubbed with a broom... so im off to get some M. Acid.. am I headed in the right direction and if i get my ph and alkalitly in check will my brown Crud on the bottom go away?

The pH and TA have nothing to do with what is on the bottom of the pool.

Also realize that the pH test will give you a false high reading if the FC is > 10ppm. Do not adjust the pH while are shock FC levels.

Jason... with visible algae on the bottom.. and scrubing 2 times a day...and keeps coming back... why is my CC so low.. Ive had leaves in the pool that had higher readings... in the past...Ive had great results hitting algae with chlorine ... almost over night.. Ive never seen this much ... at shock levels... and It keeps coming back so quick.... thanks.. scott

Algae does not always show up as CC. The FC breaks down the organics to CC and the FC (and sun) also breaks down CC ... so sometimes no CC actually show up on the test.

Is the stuff on the bottom everywhere, or in patches, or along wrinkles/seams?
How long have you been maintaining FC at shock level?

Wondering if it is really algae or external debris.
Or could be Mustard algae that likes the shade (due to the cover)? pool-school/mustard_algae

Hi again.. still shocking after 4 days.. FC levels at 20-25... CC at .5 last night i vacuumed the bottom manually ... then ran my creepy crawly for another hour... this was just at sun down... pool water is clear.. got up this morning and visible algae is again on the bottom... took a brush and could tell right away lines from the brush and a green brownish debrie from behind the brush when pushing briskly... I have not backwashed my filter all week.. still shows the same pressure as before I started shocking.... could it be pollen.. the pool is surrounded by trees with the dry summer and the rain the past 2 weeks could something be in the pool ....or calcuim .. I did a test the other day was about 300... this pool problem is really frustrating... I have not experienced this since starting the BBB method... my patients is coming to an end.. thank again

Well I ran the pump for 7 straight days... at shock levels... brown stuff in the bottom of the pool still there.... ran creepy and vac. out several times... keeps coming back... very little over night loss on the chlorine.. kinda giving up on this problem.. with overnight lows this weekend in the 40's our swimming is probably done for the year.. my question now is .. what about next year.. im thinking its pollen... not sure.. will this get ride of itself over the winter with winter cover on it.... or will I have to deal with this problem next spring.. looking back had a great clean pool using the BBB method... but this latest brown stuff is very disappointing.. another question.. this year I know its been terrible hot.. but even these last couple days only in the 80s i was loosing over a half an inch a day of water .. does that give any clues to the brown stuff..????????

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.