need to lower my TA

keithk

Jul 11, 2010
I've got some minor issues with algae, took some samples to 3 different pool stores, the first one I'm throwing out cause they say my CYA is 65 :| The other 2 are pretty close, they are...

Second store
FC 4.3
pH 8.4
CH 339
TA 215
CYA 20

third store
FC 4.2
pH 8.2
CH 340
TA 200
CYA 20

The pool store is saying to add an entire gallon of muriatic acid to lower the TA. I'm really questioning this. I know I need to get it down and my pH down. The pool Calculator says to add 86 oz of Borax. Looking for some suggestions and conformation.

The muriatic acid will lower the pH and also has the effect of lowering the TA, though the pH should be your primary concern. Try to maintain between 7.2 and 7.8. With a TA of 200, it will tend to drift up every couple days so test and redose as needed.

Use the pool calculator before you just dump a gallon in. You can calculate how much of the muriatic acid to add. When you have that amount, don't add it all at once. Add about 2/3 of the amount and retest the pH after it circulates so you don't take the pH too low. With muriatic acid it's ok to "guesstimate" the amount. It is pretty dangerous stuff to be measuring out so figure out if you need half a gallon or 2/3s and then pour it in front of the return. Retest, repeat :)

Also note, that a pH of 8.2 is usually the top of the test, so it could be even higher. That may result in you having to use more MA than the pool calculator initially recommends ... might take a couple iterations.

Yeah, that's what my problem was, had the pH numbers reversed. From what I understand, if I get the TA in normal range, my pH won't swing so much?

It's odd with the pH cause when I test it with my drops, I see it being 7.6

What drops? What test kit do you have?

We generally trust your test way more than pool store testing. How did the pool store do the tests? If they used a strip, I would complete disregard the results.

Best option is to invest in one of the test kits we recommend and then trust yourself.

HTH 3 way tester

I know, I need to find the extra funds and buy one.

jblizzle said:
What drops? What test kit do you have?

We generally trust your test way more than pool store testing. How did the pool store do the tests? If they used a strip, I would complete disregard the results.

Best option is to invest in one of the test kits we recommend and then trust yourself.

TA of 200 and pH 8.4 to 7.4 is 23oz MA

aa62579 said:
Please do not add a full gallon of MA. You need to start with around 30 ounces, let circulate for 30 minutes, and retest.

I plugged in 3400 gallons, TA of 200, and pH to go from 8.2 to 7.2. I got 30 ounces of MA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
keithk said:
TA of 200 and pH 8.4 to 7.4 is 23oz MA

aa62579 said:
Please do not add a full gallon of MA. You need to start with around 30 ounces, let circulate for 30 minutes, and retest.

I plugged in 3400 gallons, TA of 200, and pH to go from 8.2 to 7.2. I got 30 ounces of MA.

Most tests can't accurately measure over 8.2, so that is why I used it. Whether you want to add 23 or 30 ounces, as you can see by both of these numbers, 128 oz would certainly be too much. I would guess that much would take you into the low 6s. Low pH is much worse than a somewhat high TA.

Add acid each time your pH gets to 7.8 and your TA will come down.

keithk said:
I've got some minor issues with algae, took some samples to 3 different pool stores, the first one I'm throwing out cause they say my CYA is 65 :| The other 2 are pretty close, they are...

Second store
FC 4.3
pH 8.4
CH 339
TA 215
CYA 20

third store
FC 4.2
pH 8.2
CH 340
TA 200
CYA 20

The pool store is saying to add an entire gallon of muriatic acid to lower the TA. I'm really questioning this. I know I need to get it down and my pH down. The pool Calculator says to add 86 oz of Borax. Looking for some suggestions and conformation.
TA has no effect on algae.

Are you trying to have perfect test numbers, or a clean, sparkling, sanitary pool?

Instead of driving from store to store getting inconsistent tests and exposing yourself to the salesmen's charms (cha-ching!), why not just buy your own proper test kit, confirm CYA and drain as needed, then adjust pH, then perform the shock process? The shock process will resolve the algae problem.

TA can be adjusted at your leisure, when you're bored because the pool is so clear and troublefree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.