New Hayward DE Filter and Pump Heaven Sent for my Intex

Jul 25, 2012
Just got my new Hayward DE Filter pump kit today from http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com cost me a little over $500 but to me it is well worth it. I have a intex 16'x 48" for the past 3 years but it was rusting and needs replaced so the wife just went and bought a intex 18'x48" for next year(clearance price). I told her we needed a real pump and filter system I wasn't going to go through trying to clean the pool with the toy pump intex supplies. 3 summers was enough to know what is needed!
So I splurged with a DE system and hooked it up to our 16'x48" intex pool

Anyways the filter kit came with everything, except the DE that is
Stand for pump and filter,
EC40 Filter System,
1 HP Hawyard Power Flo Matrix pump,
(2) 1-1/4 Hoses
(2) 1-1/4 male thread to 1-1/4 male slip on. One goes to the pump the other out of the DE filter,
1 shutoff ball valve to be inline with the inlet to the pump.
(4) clamps for the hoses
Took off the Intex toy pump hoses from the intex shut off valves, slipped on the hayward hoses going to pump and from DE filter
primed pump started pump and added 4lbs of DE through the skimmer for pre coat.

Done!

It was that simple, very impressed! I know the pump and filter system cost $100 more than the clearance 18'x48 intex pool but to me it is well worth the investment.

I'm actually vacuuming the pool now in the pouring rain! hey got a new toy, got to play!

That was likely a wise upgrade.

Remember that you should backwash/clean the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure (after the DE has been added). Also remember that you MUST add DE every time you clean the filter or the grids can become clogged.

That model has a bump handle. If after a few bumps the pressure still keeps rising then it will need to be cleaned and recoated. I have yet to recoat mine this since the pool water has been clean. Startup this year took a few clean-outs though. I love clearance prices... :-D

Thanks jblizzle for the reminder, I will have to keep an eye on how long it can go before a cleaning.

it said to mark down the psi for pre coat which was 10 psi in my case, then once it raises 7 to 10 psi above precoat, then regenerate the filter by bump the handle 3 times when pump is off.
So I assume I should clean the filter when the start psi is around 13 psi
It also said to regenerate before and after vacuuming so I just did and I'm at 8 psi

it also recommends a yearly chemical clean by soaking the filter (flex tube assembly) in 20% muriatic acid and water 1 to 1 ratio

wife just came home and said the water looks real clean. :goodjob:

Once used to it you'll know when it needs to be cleaned. You'll go and bump it, turn on the filter and watch the pressure start low and keep building until you get low flow and high psi. It could take a couple hours to do this but if you find you need to bump it more than a few times a week (not including when you vac) then it's time to clean it.

I guess I would bump when you get to around 13psi (I do not have that option). And then clean it out and re-coat if your pressure does not drop back to the 8-10psi range after bumping.

Mike ... probably gave better advice ;)

Thanks Mike, yea it will take time to get used to it, actually I will need to try and keep away from it. Compared to the toy Intex pump I would always fiddle with. This pump and filter is like King! LOL
And yea Clearance is where it's at. I learned A LOT with my first intex pool, when to buy. We waited for Target to drop their price and then looked for the best box, found it at Walmart and had them match the price!! :whoot:

Jason all advice is great! :goodjob:

I will say my water is clean! It's so clean now I think I see some issues like little holes in the bottom of the pool, but doesn't matter if there are tiny holes they are so small and this pool is gone after this season anyways.

ClassicDave said:
Thanks Mike, yea it will take time to get used to it, actually I will need to try and keep away from it. Compared to the toy Intex pump I would always fiddle with.
Yep, not much fiddling needed unless you get algae. I pretty much ignore the filter for the most part. Just check the basket for good flow in and the return for good pressure out. All done while swimming. Painless unless you have a water issue.

This morning the sun was out, and Holly Cow the water looked perfect!
I told my daughter to come out and look at the cleanest water we ever had. For some reason she wasn't to enthused and said there was a 1 bug floating on top?? I guess this is a man thing and his tool love! LOL

Of course it is raining and lighting right now! But oh well hopefully this weekend We will be baking in the sun

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a couple pictures for people who are interested in this filter pump.
The sun came out for a few minutes so I just took some pics with my cell phone.

Attachments

• dp_pool3.jpg
    dp_pool3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 115
  • dp_pool2.jpg
    dp_pool2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 115
  • dp_poolpump.jpg
    dp_poolpump.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 115
Looks like mine except yours looks to come apart easier. My older style has a dozen or so nuts/bolts to remove to get at the inside. One thing you want do is turn your gauge sideways, it will get water inside and stop working with the way it is now. The water looks great, I love BBB. I've heard many complaints of water turning green or cloudy after rain, we've had tons of rain the last few days but the water is super clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.