Dual speed vs lowest HP

We have to replace our current pump (I believe that it’s a 1 HP Water Ace, also referred to as a “throw away” brand by one pool store) and I’ve been thinking that a dual speed would be the way to go. Our electricity is around $.12/kwh, so I’m not looking at the variable speeds.

I read in a thread from last year that “the Hayward SuperPump 1 HP Uprated SP2607X102S appears to be the most energy efficient two speed in-ground pump.” However, most of the advice on the forums seems to be “get the lowest HP possible.”

Should I keep trying to hunt down a 1/2 HP pump (or at least a 3/4 HP pump) or should I stick with the data and try to find a good price on the SuperPump? It seems like the 1/2 HP pumps are less common and less likely to be analyzed, so maybe the data just isn’t available to make a valid comparison. Or maybe it’s because they don’t make the 1/2 HP in 2-speed? If that’s the case, then my question is—what’s better, the single speed 1/2 HP or a dual speed 1 HP? We don’t have anything fancy on the pool, we even use a leaf bagger attached to the hose to vacuum. We MIGHT someday get some type of solar heating, which is why I was thinking it would be useful to have the option of a higher speed. Help?

Thanks,
Sara

What kind of cleaner do you use? Most will not work well on Low speed. Typical to run on low speed most of the time and bump up to high speed to run cleaner or enhance skimming. You would also likely need high speed to run solar.

Is your current pump 120V or 240V?

Pentair make a couple 3/4HP full rated 2 speed pumps (really 1.25 SFHP). The Whisperflo WFDS-3 (or -24) and the smaller Superflo SF-N2-3/4A. Although with possible solar in the future, that Superflo may be a bit small.

I recently installed the 1HP Superflo because I needed the 240V and it should be fine with the solar on my 1-story house to be added this year.

By "cleaner" do you mean what kind of filter? (If so, I will have to check on that later.) We don't use a regular vacuum for cleaning, we just use the leaf bagger (the pool's not covered, so we were concerned that we would clog the pipes vacuuming up all those leaves and stuff) and that's powered by the magic/physics of a garden hose. We have a cheap, manual vacuum that attaches to the skimmer, but I don't know what type it is.

I'm not sure on the pump (120V or 240V). Will check.

I don't just need a new motor. I need the whole thing. There was this metal ring that clamps down on the pump to keep part of it sealed. It broke and it would cost $60 to replace. Although that's much cheaper than a new pump, I'm hoping to get a more efficient one for the long haul. (We have it rigged together temporarily, but it's pushing lots of air through the return jets.)

By cleaner I was wondering if you have a suction side or pressure side automatic cleaner ... sounds like you just vacuum manually so you could flip to high speed when you do that.

Install would be easiest if you matched the new pump to the same power as the old pump, but not necessarily required. If you currently have a 120V pump and timer, going to a 240V pump would require changing wiring and likely getting a new timer.

It kind of depends how your electricity is currently fed to the equipment pad, to know how hard it would be to change the power voltage to the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.