Circu-Pool 45 unable to get chorline reading

Aug 8, 2012
Help
I have a 30,000 pool with DE Filter.
When I installed the RJ 45 I was not able to get a chlorine readig speaking with Don at Circu pool I discovered I had (Phosphates?) Which was the cause of the 0 chloine. I have since cleared the pool of phosphates and have ran the SWG for 4 days and still no Chlorine reading. What is going on? I need Help

Thanks Chuck

Hello,
Welcome to the forums. You probably have algae. You'll need to use the shock process as listed in pool school. Do you have a quality test kit? Can you post test results?
You should read Pool School.
Shocking Process: pool-school/shocking_your_pool
pool-school/defeating_algae

You need to add liquid chlorine.

I think what is happening your SWCG is producing chorine (do you see the bubbles at the cell) and it is killing algae, but the algae is multiplying quicker than the chlorine can kill it.

bobodaclown said:
I think what is happening your SWCG is producing chorine (do you see the bubbles at the cell) and it is killing algae, but the algae is multiplying quicker than the chlorine can kill it.

And/Or, your CYA is too low and the sun is breaking down the FC as fast as the SWG in making it.

Usually a SWG is better at maintaining a FC level once you have established the pool is clean and all levels are correct, including raising the FC to the recommended levels using liquid chlorine.

The pool is clear, how I do not know but I have no alge. When I first installed the SWG I had a very low FC level. Excuse my lack of terms but what is CYA? I know what it means in the construction industry but I am sure you are not talking about that. So the consensus is to add liquid Chlorine. I will try that and once I learn what CYA is I will also do that.

Thanks everyone you help I will let you know what happens Chuck

Check out Pool School (button at upper right of page). Here are a couple articles:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

CYA=cyanuric acid=stabilizer=conditioner ... used to buffer / protect the FC from the sun. For a SWG, you want to be up around 70-80ppm. But, the shock process at those high levels is tough, so best to confirm you have nothing living in the pool before raising it that high. You can confirm there is nothing in the pool by performing the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT).

Hey guys still having problems with chlorine :x I shocked the pool with 2 gals of liquod shock, showed 10 ppm after 2 hrs. Continued checking during the day. CH level continued to drop through out the day. Did the Night time test, (Tested at end of day when filter was off and again in the early AM prior to filter going on) in the morning
I had 0 ppm CH.
There seems to be a whiteish/grey matter in the pool when I brush it, it turns into a cloud????? Very Very Very fine like a power.

Thanks Chuck

I'm confused by what you say above... CH=0? Are you talking about the chlorine? We notate Free Chlorine as FC and Calcium Hardness as CH. I'd be surprised if your CH is really 0, so I hope you are talking about your Free Chlorine.

Also, you mention the nighttime test....I don't see where you've posted your reading from last night to establish the beginning of the OCLT test. You need to measure FC at night when it gets dark, and again in the morning before the sun comes up. This is the overnight loss we are looking for.

The way I read your post above is that you got to 10 PPM sometime during the day and had 0 this morning. If that is true, then there is a good chance you lost chlorine during the day to the sun, but we don't know how much....

First off, you didn't shock your pool, you barely startled it.

You need to begin the shock process in ernest and stick with it until you've passed the OCLT and your water is clear.

Just because you don't see algae doesn't mean it isn't growing. Something's consuming your FC and that has to be algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rdhetrick: you think your confused you should be me. Yes it is the FC. I am talking about the FC= 10ppm was read at 8:00 pm and I did the test this morning before sun was up and had a reading of FC=0

Bama Rambler: Got you keep shocking until I win or the end of the season comes

I will perform the OCLT test. again this evening

Thanks for you help Chuck

chuckwolfs said:
OCLT Test Results 8-11-2012

8:00pm EST 4:00am EST
PH=7.3 FC=5.0 PH=7.3 FC=4.0
AK=120 CYA=100 AK=120 CYA=100

AT this point Should I continue to Shock or monitor my levels? Thanks Chuck

Your test results are incomplete, and kinda confusing to me? How does your CYA go from 30 or so two days prior to now 100? If its *really* 100 you've just raised the bar which you're going to have to hurdle to get enough Chlorine in there to kill whatever cooties are in that water. Are you using a *good* test kit (TF-100 is my preference, look at moderators siggy file for website to order) or are you using inadequate testing supplies and strips?

Its helpful if you keep a running log of your results with notes about what and how much you add. I've attached a copy of my log to show you, but keep in mind my "goal range" is for my fiberglass pool with auto cover. Your goal range may be entirely diff. It also reminds me how often to run tests when all is going *right*! Obviously you'll have to test more often when things need fixing and tweaking.

I agree the CYA confusion needs to be straightened out.

Even if it really is 30ppm, the FC levels you reported are not even close to shock level ... You have not yet started the shock process.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.