Replacing my Nat Gas with Electric heat

Flawed

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool/spa. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

I'm replacing the heating on my tub. It came with a nat gas heater, and I want to go to an inline elect heater. I can't seem to find any info about how to install an elect heater. Whats involved, parts I need, etc, etc. I'm assuming i need the heater, a thermostat, a high limit switch. I don't know if the controller already has the switches/relays/thermostat and whatnot in it. I'm going to open the controller box today, and get some pics of the inside.

I've seen plenty of videos/how to's on REPLACING an electric heater, just can't seem to find anything on INSTALLING one.

I've spent hours on here looking through the boards, maybe I just missed it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think the first thing you really need to look at are the load requirements for the electric heater you want to install. If there isn't a large enough service run out to your pool equipment area then you could be looking at paying for a new service to be run. Depending on how far it has to go and what amperage it has to carry, you might be talking about some serious $$$.

Flawed:

PMellin brings up some great points that you should seriously consider. All of that will add to the cost of the electric heater install. Not to mention that it usually costs considerably more to run an electric heater vs. natural gas of similar output. Even with my electric rates at around 9 cents / kWh, it is still much cheaper for me to run a natural gas heater than an electric.

<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool/spa. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

PMellin said:
I think the first thing you really need to look at are the load requirements for the electric heater you want to install. If there isn't a large enough service run out to your pool equipment area then you could be looking at paying for a new service to be run. Depending on how far it has to go and what amperage it has to carry, you might be talking about some serious $$$.

The tub is at the back of the house. The Spa Pack is 12' away, around the corner, on the side of the house. The service run is about five feet to the Spa Pack. I've got 240v run to my Spa Pack. My Spa Pack is sans heater anything, so I was gonna add the controls there. Seems to be plenty of room in the box. I was thinking of an inline heater,like this one.

BoDarville said:
PMellin brings up some great points that you should seriously consider. All of that will add to the cost of the electric heater install. Not to mention that it usually costs considerably more to run an electric heater vs. natural gas of similar output. Even with my electric rates at around 9 cents / kWh, it is still much cheaper for me to run a natural gas heater than an electric.

Sorry, i did not indicate that I do not have Nat Gas. I have propane. The propane conversion kit was about $800.00. Not feasible. I won't be running the heat constantly, just as needed. I have a solar backup/booster plan in mind if the electric gets out of control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.