I have added Borates, but see particles in water.

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
FC 3.0
PH 7.6
CH 160
Alk 100
CYA 40
Borates 40ish

So underwater with goggles I see small particles, at first I thought they were tiny bubbles. In the sunlight you can see really tiny white particles. Is this the borates? The water looks very clean from the sidewalk, but not as clear as it did prior to the borates. I am not upset by these particles, but just confused as to what they are and if anyone else knows what I'm talking about. Thanks everyone!

I can think of two possibilities...

1. at some point your pH was way high (probably during the borax addition) and some calcium has precipitated out, in which case, give it some time, and maybe lower down to 7.2 for a while to see if that will improve it

2. one of the benefits of borates is improved water clarity, if it bothers you, maybe try adding some DE to your sand filter to get better filtration of small particles

I know I added borax first then the muriatic acid. I realized that I put it in in the wrong order right after I added it to the pool. It took me about 15 minutes to add all the chemicals for each of the 2 doses. If it is calcium what is the best way to get it out? Will it dissolve over time?

Because you are seeing particles and the water isn't really cloudy, if it was me, I would do both. Lower the pH to 7.2 and add some DE to the filter.

BTW, if your CH isn't from your fill water, then stop adding it to the pool. You don't need it with a vinyl liner pool.

I noticed that the returns were blowing out air bubbles. I looked at my Liquidator and noticed that after the flowmeter there were bubbles in the line. I took the flow meter out of the loop and bypassed it. The flow meter was cracked on the bottom letting in air. I called HASA and they are sending out a new one for free (good company). I added the DE before I made this discovery. I think the the tiny white particles are air bubbles and now I know how they got in the water. I figured out my problem after the pump ran for the day adding more bubbles. There are still bubbles in the water, I'm thinking that by the end of the day tomorrow they should be gone or noticeably less. Why don't these bubbles just float up and dissolve? Have you ever heard of something like this? Also the water looks really clear from the pool deck. It's just underwater that you can see these bubbles. Also once the DE is added does the filter pressure always stay 1 degree higher or will it go back when backwashed. And, is it good to have a little DE in a sand filter just to filter better, I never used any DE, but I might continue to since I have 20lbs. Thanks for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once the DE is added does the filter pressure always stay 1 degree higher or will it go back when backwashed. And, is it good to have a little DE in a sand filter just to filter better, I never used any DE, but I might continue to since I have 20lbs. I noticed some of the DE came back in the pool and settled on the bottom in a few spots.

backwashing will remove the DE you add do the pressure should go back to normal. Using it is optional. But since you have it, use it if the water is not crystal clear.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.