Diagnosing Pentair Easy Touch issue

Locksmythe

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2011
Something caused the breaker in my main panel that goes to my pool subpanel to trip (unknown), and after resetting the breakers, my pump runs all the time and the intellichlor attached to that circuit is always recieveing power. I ran diagnostics and it only came up with an LED error, which is more likely due to my not pushing the right button during the test. I hear a click when I push the pump button, and any of the other relays (currently unused), but power is never cut to the pump.

My first guess was the relay was bad, but I find it odd that the system also does not seem to be communicating with the intellichlor as it remains at what ever setting I put it on manually. I tried adjusting it to different levels as well as running the super chlor setting.

Anyone have ideas? Should I swap one of the other relays onto the pump circuit?

Tripping the main breaker is usually indicative of a large spike in the power service. Usually from lightning nearby. It can do all sorts of nasty things inside the panel. If you're hearing the pump relay click, your problem is likely stuck contacts.

I'd go through everything and all the programming to make sure something else isn't going on.

Update: I replaced the relay on the pump circuit with an unused relay, and all is well. I will have to get a replacement relay under warranty.

Does this happen often? Anyone else lose relays? on their Pentair systems?

I also discovered the source of the breaker tripping, after a long troubleshooting exercise. Something was growing inside the pump wiring compartment that shorted the connection. Plant or insect, I could not actually distinguish after arcing across it through a week of troubleshooting. Even after removing the material and reseating the wiring connections it was still arcing, but a rag and some alcohol to the terminal area seemed to do the trick. Fingers crossed that that was all that was wrong there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.