Peeing in the pool poll.

Do you pee in the pool?

• Total voters
Isn't urine sterile?

Seriously, peeing in a pool is unbelievably gross. I can't believe anyone would do this in a swimming pool. I barely do it when I'm wade fishing in Texas bays. It still doesn't feel right to pee with a bathing suit/wading pants on.

HouTex said:
Isn't urine sterile?

Seriously, peeing in a pool is unbelievably gross. I can't believe anyone would do this in a swimming pool. I barely do it when I'm wade fishing in Texas bays. It still doesn't feel right to pee with a bathing suit/wading pants on.

Dude, fish pee all the time.

HouTex said:
Isn't urine sterile?

Aren't waders rubber - waterproof pants? Doesn't waterproof go both ways?

Fish pee all the time, but not in my pool.

texasdad said:
HouTex said:
Isn't urine sterile?

Aren't waders rubber - waterproof pants? Doesn't waterproof go both ways?

Fish pee all the time, but not in my pool.

Yes, my point was that it's hard for me to let go when I have pant bottoms/swim trunks on. I have to wait until I'm in the boat and then drop trow and go the usual way of the bow or stern. Of course fish, porpoises, etc. pee in the bay. I just have a hard time doing it with pants on. Just seems unnatural to me. I can't imagine doing it in my or someone else's pool.

1st fish that EVER pee's in my pool is BANNED for the summer! No if's and or butt's!!

All I can think about now is the thread from last year where a catfish was added to a pool. :D

spidey07 said:
Dude, fish pee all the time.

Something to keep in mind on this though. As an aquarium keeper one of the first things you learn about is what is called the "cycle". This is the natural transformation of the waste into semi-harmless matter. This is done by two types of benificial bacteria. The first kind breaks ammonia down into nitrites. The amonia is a byproduct of the fish pee. The second kind breaks the nitrites down into nitrates. In the normal cycle, aquatic pets go to the bathroom in their own house. They urinate and excrete directly into the water. It would be the same as you or I urinating or excreting into the air, in our very own houses. For the aquarium inhabitants, the most harmful waste product is ammonia. Nitrites are also very harmful to the inhabitants, but not as harmful as ammonia. Nitrates, in large quantities, are also harmful to the inhabitants, but not nearly as harmful as either ammonia, or nitrites. Nitrites are eliminated thru water changes and by live plants in the water which convert the nitrates into oxygen

In nature this same cycle exists. The addition of fresh water from rain and springs as well as the plant life in the water combine to remove all of the byproducts and keep the water fresh. Wind and wave action also help with this.

Pools don't have this ability so we clorinate to keep the bacteria at bay. While I will agree that the thought is gross, I think it is more psycological than anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shane1 said:
My name is Shane and I pee in the pool....lol
Hi Shane.

danpik said:
I think it is more psycological than anything.
I often think, this is gross. But, seeing it dissipate makes me feel better, almost like watching it become "clean."

I disagree with the wording since Phelps can't bump the FC just to be sure.

Brown and green swamp water becomes sanitized sparkling clean water :)

I believe in a post by chem geek he described the process and said 8 seconds is what it takes for the urine to be chlorinated (assuming the appropriate FC levels).

Doesn't everyone bring tiny amounts of fecal matter in to the pool?

The ammonia in urine combines with chlorine to form monochloramine quickly -- about 90% complete in under 1 minute in a pool with the FC at around 10% of the CYA level and at 77ºF. It takes about 3 hours for the chlorine to oxidize 90% of the monochloramine mostly to nitrogen gas. Urea takes much longer so builds up in the pool though exposure to sunlight helps break up chlorine into a more powerful oxidizer that may oxidize urea. Chlorine will kill most bacteria with a 99.9% kill in under 1 minute, but unless you have a urinary tract infection your urine would be fairly sterile.

I don't pee in the pool. Period. I can't say that my kids haven't and I can't say what I may have done years ago... I forget :shock:

At night I prefer to pee in the bushes in the yard... :whip:
In the daytime I towel off and go inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.