Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: removing dust from pool

1. Back To Top    #1

removing dust from pool

I recently had a large amount of stone work done on the house. Also I had a pretty bad oak pollen season. All the stone work is done and the pollen is no longer dropping. All the leaves and pollen are out of the pool and the water is clear for the most part and all levels are good. However there is dust on the bottom of the pool from all the stone work, which makes it look nasty!!!
    The polaris won't pick it up, since it is just dust. It just makes a nice cloud of dust everywhere it tries to clean. I also tried using the vaccum thingy that attaches to the water hose and that works really well to get all the leaves and pollen out but again, not the dust, since you can't really catch dust in a net.

Any help and advice is appreciated. Trying to get my pool ready for the summer.

Thanks!
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    A standard pool vacuum moved very slowly is he best answer. If you don't have one, do whatever it takes to stir up the dust. Brushing the pool and running the cleaner will both help stir it up so the filter can get it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I had the same sort of situation after a very dusty storm blew through. All of the west Texas dust settled on the bottom. I tried the little rolling vacuum attachment and it worked okay but what worked even better was the brush head type vacuum attachment that is designed for vinyl lined pools. It really did a good job of getting all that dust off the bottom. You just have to go VERY slowly so as not to agitate the water too much.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

Skimmer socks work awesome. You can rinse them out to get a longer use out of them too!
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

5. Back To Top    #5

I switched from a polaris to a dolphin robotic last year. It's amazing how it will remove dust and dirt. No more need for vacuuming... keeps it out of the filter too, so it saves on backwashing. They're are bit pricey, but well worth it.
    My pool… 30K gunite free form, 3 ft. to 11 ft. deep, with 700 gallon spill over spa. White plaster, Jandy 60 sq. ft. DE filter, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 3/4 HP booster pump, Jandy color changing lights, Jandy 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris EOS command center with in-house controls, and shortcut remote next to spa. Hayward goldline valve actuators. 2HP Polaris QT blower for spa. Dolphin Dynamic robotic cleaner. Inline Chlorinator which is used with trichlor pucks ONLY when I need to raise my CYA, which I try to keep around 30 to 40 ppm.

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a Poolbuster Max with the optional sand and silt filter. Does a great job of getting up the sand and dust.
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all for your respones. I have gotten some of the dust out. but still some remains..I have ordered the poolbuster max cg to clear out the rest of it. Figured its a good investment for future dust and pollen in the years to come.
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.

8. Back To Top    #8
    I have a poolbuster too that works well on fine dirt/dust but I also bought the fine mesh bag for my polaris that also does a great job of getting the fine stuff out.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft