Hello from Yeomanflood in California

yeomanflood

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I just want all of you active participants, especially you moderators and administrators that this forum is awesome and I thank you for it! I have owned a house with pool for a year and had a pool guy taking care of it. Inevitably, I discovered that he was terrible and consequently
I think I have mustard algae in the pool (it sticks to the sides and some of it won't brush off with a nylon/stainless brush, it's yellowish and brownish). I think he just really didn't service my pool and spa at all - what a joke. So on the advice of my wife, I've taken the challenge of maintaining my pool and spa myself. I'm a little OCD so I expect to spend a lot of time here. :) I have ordered my TF100 test kit so once that arrives I'll post my results. I know that first thing I need to kill off the mustard algae - and I'm sure there's a lot more to be done for both my pool and spa. I just wanted to announce my plunge into pool maintenance and thank all of you involved in this awesome forum!! Thanks!!

Bama Rambler- thanks for the reply. I've been spending time trying to figure out if the brown/yellow is algae vs. stain. I think the pool guy didn't keep the chlorine levels high at all- everytime I tested within a day or 2 of his treatments it would be at 0.5 or some terribly low level. The brown/yellow would grow and expand in the pool until I I started to buy andadd liquid - such that over the last week it doesn't really expand much - and I brush every day with a nylon/stainless. There hasn't been much pollen in the air lately either. So I'm leaning towards algae - driven mostly by the pool guy's low chlorine (I can't wait to test CYA!).
I will come back here with my readings and we will go from there!!
And I'm definitely going to open up the filter because the gauge keeps reading something like only 1 or 2 lbs which I think is terribly low, ie., there may be a hole in the element, the gauge needs replacement or something else is off.
Thanks, again!